Author Topic: full brace pictures  (Read 11363 times)

Offline david w.

full brace pictures
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:55:05 pm »
heres pics of my bow at full brace.

[attachment deleted by admin]
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline david w.

Re: full brace pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 05:55:50 pm »
some more

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 05:57:07 pm »
what do you guys think?

I couldnt resist as soon as i put it on full brace i ran outside and shot it.  It was awesome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 05:57:58 pm »
I'd lower that brace height down a couple inches, looks a bit high-especially since the left limb in the first pic still looks considerably stiffer than the right limb. Looking pretty good overall, try to get the tiller evened up before you pull it any further, or you might get a lot of set on the weaker limb.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 06:00:05 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:11:56 pm »
how do I lower brace height I coulnt get a longer string it the only one I have and I dont want to buy another one.  Or will the brace height bebcome lower when I reduce the left limb? I'm  ???

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 06:41:08 pm »
There probably aren't enough twists in that string to lengthen it enough.  You need a longer string, or you could shorten the bow to fit the string.  If you make many bows, you'll be making strings as well so that you have options.  I brace my bows with the string through the tip of my thumbnail on the fistmele measurement. 
Chadwick
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 07:10:40 pm »
David, maybe you should think about learning to make Flemish strings. It is not at all hard to do, once you figure out how reverse twisting works. A couple of rolls of D-50 in contrasting colors, or one color as well, and you are in business. Then you can make custom strings, your own tillering strings, etc. There are some threads around here that will help you. You could use linen too, if you feel a bit brave :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 07:23:49 pm »
ok thanks for the help.  The brace is about 6 1/2 ins just above my fistmele(isnt  that what its called)  It might be 6 7/8 ins. but its close.  I will start making my own strings once i get into bow making.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:14:23 pm »
Yeah, lower it.   But it looks good, show more pictures of it when it's done.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 08:42:02 pm »
David, I'll be happy to make and send you a string with one loop and a bowyers knot on the other end. You can use it on different length bows by moving the bowyers knot. That's how I make all my strings. Send me a PM with a mailing address and I'll have it out to you soon. I have red, black, yellow, white and green B-50 string material so you can even choose colors.     
  Your limbs are bending nicely but not together. You are over stressing the right limb and it may take more set because of it.      Pat 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Far East Archer

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 11:23:13 pm »
What Pat said right limb bending a bit more than the left. Get a few more scrapes on that left limb to even it out. This bow is looking great so far by the way, Good job!  :)

-Alex

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 11:27:43 pm »
Pat the string would be great.  And thanks for the help and compliments.  i cant wait to finish but i wont rush it

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 01:08:56 am »
Here's a tip I learned recently.  Measure brace height at 2 1/2 inches out from the widest point in the fades.  Mark it on each side and then measure.   On asymetrical limbs (Upper longer than the Lower) measurment should be 1/8 inch greater for the upper.  Even for equal lenght limbs.

Randy
A Family that Preys together stays together!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 06:11:22 am »
David looks good so far but unless you have completed the tiller you really shouldn't draw it back
and shoot it,if you do all that work could be for nothing.I done that also when I started but didn't take long to figure out that ant a good thing to do.Ease it out to your draw length and work the flat spots as you go till you get the weight and draw you want.Keep up the good work I just hate to see you mess it up now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 08:48:56 am »

David, do you have a tillering tree which will allow you to check your draw weight at the varying draw distances as you work the tiller toward your own personal draw length? You should never draw the bow past what you want the final draw weight to be.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...