Author Topic: Monster osage tree finished....final stave count  (Read 58387 times)

Offline sadiejane

Re: Harvesting a monster osage tree Day 2 (pic. heavy)
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »
wow, thats some mother of the osage. she will provide well for you many years to come. put me down for 52 staves. be safe out there in the woods. and enjoy your vacation.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Harvesting a monster osage tree Day 2 (pic. heavy)
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2011, 02:27:01 pm »
Well, I didn't think I would be able to stand working in 96 degrees this afternoon.  So, I skipped out from work a few minutes early and instead of going to sleep, I headed for the woods ;D  I was by myself again today.  But that is usually the way I like to do things if I can.  I started on the middle section again.  The first two chunks came of pretty easily.  I brought a crowbar to help pry the chunks off of the log.  That really worked well except somehow I slipped and fell sideways in the creek bed.  Luckily some sharp rocks broke my fall.  I am splitting them into pieces about this size so they will be easy to pull out.

It didn't take long to finish splitting the middle section.  This is what it turned into.

Then I got started on the 3rd section.  I had a very hard time getting the first piece out, but once I did, the rest weren't to bad.  I had only planned on staying out 1 1/2 - 2 hours, but once I got started, I didn't want to stop until I had the other section split.  I ended up working for 3 hours, but I got it done.  The flys were driving me nuts, and a horsefly kept attacking me.  I think I sweated off my bug spray.  This is what I have from the two sections.  It took me 4.5 hours to split them.

Now, I need to pull them up the hill.  Once I get them out, I can start splitting the biggest chunk. 

Here is what the rings look like on the remaining trunk.  They are thinner on one side, but still very nice on most of it.

I tried looking to see how much more I will be able to cut, but it is a tangled mess and I didn't feel like climbing back there.  I am hoping to at least get 2 more sections.

Hopefully I can either get some help tomorrow morning, or at least borrow his quad so I can pull them out.  Right now I am pooped out.  I think I will lay down for a few hours.  I can't sleep to long, my son has a baseball game today at 6:00
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:38:38 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jpitts

Re: Harvesting a monster osage tree Day 3
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2011, 02:34:53 pm »
Beautiful wood you got there. I would think at least 3 staves from that piece your holding. Put me down for 68 bows.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2011, 02:41:57 pm »
Man you are an animal! :o
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2011, 02:47:50 pm »
Osage Outlaw
      That is one heck of a osage tree. I have tackled a-lot of them in my life time but nothing with as many good sections on one tree. I have found out that if I let some of my quarters alone for a month or 2 my belly splits will follow the growth rings a little better when you start splitting. I have several big quarters like you have that have been split for 4 months. I will go for the belly splits on them when it ever cools off. Remember to spray them down with insecticide if you leave them in quarters for a while. Nice haul. Dean

turkey522

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34:11 pm »
  Nice looking osage.I'll try 74 don't believe anyone as taken that #.Take care in that heat don't let it get the better of you.

blackhawk

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2011, 03:41:06 pm »
I hope your falling on your knees due to the blessing the good lord has just given you and not from the exhaustion and effort to get that all done. That's more than I first thought. Good lord.

And welcome to primitive archer Turkey522

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2011, 03:42:16 pm »
WOW that looks like fun >:D
I've never worked w/ osage, being that I live in FL, heck I've never seen one in real life, soo....
hmmm... put me down for 87 8)

--Mark R.
Am fear nach glèidh na h-airm san t-sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n àm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2011, 06:03:38 pm »
For some reason, I woke up after 3 hours >:(  I feel like I have been run over by a truck.  But I'm glad I worked on it this morning.  It is 99 degrees outside.  I am really going to enjoy my vacation next week.

I forgot to mention that for the contest,  if anyone outside of the lower 48 states wins, you are going to have to cover shipping.  Heck, depending on how much the wife spends next week, the winner might have to cover it either way ;D

For the official stave count guessing contest, I have those 3 sections plus one more that is about 12-14" diameter.  The count will be from those 4 sections.  If I get any more, I will keep them seperate.     

Here is the updated list.

SA - 39
Cracker - 43
Blackhawk - 48
Will H - 50
Ridgerunner - 65
Hobow - 36
beetlebailey1977 - 38
Stringstretcher - 70
Strongbow - 45
Seabass - 42
MWirwicki - 72
Elktracker - 47
Medic336 - 53
Ryoon4690 - 60
M-P - 44
Jham - 49
Soy - 55
Justin Snyder - 62
Lee Slikkers - 58
Hatcha - 80
Gus - 77
Matt S - 75
Triggerfinger - 73
Bow Nut - 59
Gutpile - 69
Toomanyknots - 90
Justin Snyder - 62
Weylin - 34
Rainman - 56
Fencepost - 40
Randman - 71
Stingray45 - 68
Mullet - 85
Sadie Jane - 52
Jpitts - 68
Tukey522 - 74
Marz5 - 87
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:23:06 pm by osage outlaw »

Offline frankg

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2011, 10:35:23 pm »
Man , that is some find you have there ! That tangle patch in upper hunk dont look like it will be fun though ! I'll guess you'll get 63 out of the first 4 sections ;D 
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:07 pm »
What a find!  Any idea what the dark colored wood is?  Is it usable?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2011, 12:48:24 am »
We have wood on the landing ;D  My brother-in-law wanted to start pulling them out tonight to get a head start on tomorrow.  We got 11 splits up to the field and left 4 down in the valley.  It was hard work getting the splits out of the creek bed.  The bank is 10' high and at a 45 degree angle.  Tomorrow the game plan is to split the last section and pull everything out.  Then I can take a break.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2011, 01:22:19 am »
Wow I am impressed. that is going to be one heck of a hall. I'm still drooling over that very nice stave you gave me at the Classic.  I just found this and have to say it's a coll idea to do the guessing game but I'm thinking by the diam of them logs you guys are all under guessing so my guess is going to be 114 total

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2011, 01:37:36 am »
What a slacker! :D :D   How can you even think of resting until after the ends are all sealed and the bark bug sprayed?     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2011, 01:39:46 am »
Man what a find, from the looks of it you might wear out several draw knives on that stack.
By the way what state are you in?
Johnny
in Texas