Author Topic: Latest bow  (Read 7662 times)

Offline waterlogged

Latest bow
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:38:10 am »
Well, I've promised a bow for a friend for just a bit too long, and it's finally complete.

It wasn't really an easy road, though. the grain on the red oak board that I had lying around wasn't that great, and that's the one that I had promised her. I didn't have much for backing materail, but I did have some strips of plyboo (same stuff as the bamboo flooring), and even through I've heard negative reviews, I gave it a shot, and it seemed to work well. Also, halfway through the tillering my girlfriend said that she'd like to try to decorate it, she's a friend of my friend too. They talked a bit, and decided that my girlfriend would try to put some of her new language (she makes languages as a hobby, along with being a rather good artist) on the back of the bow, along with some painted birch leaves.

On the top limb it says the person's name, and on the bottom limb it's a poem about Artemis, Greek god of the hunt (the girl I made it for likes Greek myth, alot, and likes Artemis).

Now the stats: 62.5inches long, and draws 60lbs at 25inches (she's a tough girl... or at least she will be after a while of shooting that thing). Green suede handle wrap, and green wrapped nocks.

As you can see from this pic:

It's hard to see the art, so sorry to everyone with slow browsers, here are some of the closeup pics, I needed to do the work justice. Here's the back, from right to left.

The green parts are done in this nice nail polish (of all things) that is partly see through so you can see the veins of the leaves that she drew, though not quite as well in the photos.

And now my part, here's the full draw:

It's a bit canted, so it looks a bit more round in the handle than it actually is, but it was the best one I could get. This is my first tiller job since a two-year hiatus, so be kind, though I would like to hear if anything is wrong. Also, sorry for falling into the less-pictures-of-bows-more-of-artwork, but I just couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:49:20 am by waterlogged »
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Latest bow
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 06:55:59 am »
Very nice waterlogged,tiller looks good and the art work is great.Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 07:43:33 am »
Looks great, and the artwork is awesome. How wide are the limbs? Got any handshock?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:38:28 am »
Very nice, both the bow and the painting/writing. Keep up the good work.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 12:39:18 pm »
I do, indeed, like artwork on bows.  Nice job on this bow, tiller, art and all.   We'll look at it again for June Backed Bow of the Month, soon!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 01:57:24 pm »
Sweet bow there- very nice tiller. I like it!

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 01:58:22 pm »
nice bow
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 02:18:06 pm »
Excellent job. Beautiful art work and the tiller is right on. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 07:14:44 pm »
Nice work. Like the art work, tiller looks perfect to me.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »
So is she cute.  I figure she must be for you to put all that time into the great artwork.  ;D The tiller does look pretty darn good.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 10:45:38 pm »
Looks great, and the artwork is awesome. How wide are the limbs? Got any handshock?

Thanks guys, I took a little longer on the tiller than I normally would, and thought it would come in lighter than the 45lbs I was going for. I finished it away from my bathroom scale, and thought I had it a bit light, but apparently I've just gotten a bit more muscle than I thought!

Hillbilly - it's about an inch and a half wide, and it tapers to 1/4inch nocks, so that keeps handshock pretty low.

Justin - The girlfriend is really cute :) , but she was the one who did the art for a mutual friend, I could never do something like that. I can't even do good cave-style paintings, lol. Someday I'm going to make a really nice one for her, though. I just can't build up the nerve to start it!
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 11:42:56 pm »
Nice bow and nice artwork. The lettering is very cool and the tiller looks great.

SJM

330bull

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 02:10:38 pm »
That's a great looking bow!  Excellent job!

jamie

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 05:34:15 pm »
60LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  excellent job.