Author Topic: Cree Bow pictures anyone?  (Read 13633 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Cree Bow pictures anyone?
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:43:53 am »
Hey guys.  I have a friend that comes from Cree ancestry and he asked me to make him a bow.  I'd like to give him something close to what his people would have used.  I know that it's kind of hard to pin down a bow type to a specific tribe.  I've read the TBB chapter on plains indian bows, but was wondering if anyone has any pictures of bows that would have been used specifically be the Cree indians, particularly from Saskatchewan.  I realize this is a bit of a strech, but just thought I'd throw it out there.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Cam

Offline Josh B

Re: Cree Bow pictures anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:47 am »
This looks like a good thread for Half Eye or maybe Marc St. Louis to chime in.  If anybody could help, one or both of those knowledgeable fellows certainly could.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:58 am »
The Cree out West now moved there from the great lakes region in the 18th century if I remember correctly.  You'd probably be ok with any of the Algonquin language nations (Cree, Attikamek, Naskapi and Montagnais are the Canadian ones I can think of).

You can always look for an actual bow at the North American Ethnographic Collection : http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/north_public/north_public.htm It has a lot of stuff.

Of the top of my head though, a square-ish bow with a D tiller, maybe  60" long of the densest wood that grows in your area would be pretty close to a Western Cree bow before horses came along.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:31:39 am »
Marc St Louis may have info about Cree Indian bows. Maybe he'll chime in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:36:59 am »
My Dad is of Cree ancestry. There really is no set standard for the bows of any tribe, I'll get that pet peeve of mine out of the way right away.
 The bow that Pope tested was probably closest to representative for the tribe but it would also fit 75% of the tribes in NA. in that area.
 A short flatbow, generally of Ash.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:39:59 pm »
Cameroo.....might I suggest starting with the type of woods they had to work with in SK.  Saskatoon, Chokecherry, Birch, Willow, maybe some ash way down south (but I'm not sure of that)...and even tamarack.

For what it's worth, I grew up in La Ronge   :)  (just to answer your question about SK bowyers, but now I'm in Calgary).

I did find a reference a while back to a group up NORTH Fondulac, or Ft Chip who made some bows out of tension wood on spruce.....I'll see if I can dig up the link.

edit - found the link.  here you go.   http://www.kitikmeotheritage.ca/bowmaking/Pitikhiliuqtut/pitikhiliuqtiit.htm

Note that this is for the Inuit, not the Cree, but I have to imagine that there was some overlap in the skills, particularily when the Dene', Inuit and Cree weren't trying to destroy each other.  Oh, and of interest it appears they used the compression wood.  Okay -  now see that this is a cable backed bow...oh well....I tried to help.   ;)

j
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:04:41 pm by Diligence »
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:04:52 pm »
You can't go wrong if you make a D-bow.  Just make sure it doesn't have a handle riser or a cut-in arrow rest.  The nocks are cut into the side, one on the top limb and one or two on the bottom.  Make it as short and narrow as your skill allows but don't sweat it.  Many bows in the north were made quite long.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:45:15 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Sounds like I should pretty much continue what I've been doing - making D tillered bows without a cut-in shelf.  I have a couple chokecherry staves seasoning now, I'll probably try one of them.  The only difference being that I'll go a little shorter than I have been, and use the side nocks that I've seen in TBB in the plains indians chapter.

Another option would be to do one with a slightly setback handle and slightly deflexed limbs - those types are also depicted in the TBB.

PatM - I realize there's no standard for any particular tribe, I'm just looking to make it as authentic as I can.  I'd like to put some kind of meaningful artwork on the back as well, but the plains bows were probably the least decorated bows, so that would take away slightly from the authenticity.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:03 pm »
Just to give an idea of the range of this tribe..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 01:11:17 am »
Just got back from a trip to Grand Portage Minn. Took in the National Park Service's Heritage Center. At the Ojibwe exhibit there was a native style bow along the lines of what we call an Oneida bow, about 64" long. It may or may not be bare any similiarity to what is historically accurate for the time and place. Just a thought.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 03:48:27 pm »
 Posting this for halfeye. He's having trouble with his computer.

Note: The cree are Algonquian Language Natives and while this is an Eastern Bow the north western Cree and Ojibwe shared the same space from the great lakes to present day Idaho. They spoke the same dialect ( Oji-Cree) so it seems fair to believe that their bow styles might be similiar. The Eastern Main Cree bow is quite similiar to the Eastern (Riverine) Ojibwe. So this may be applicable as a fair example.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline paul craig

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »
Glenbow Museum in Calgary has some interesting photos showing western Canada bows on their website www.glenbow.org/collections/.
Image No. NA-1677-10    Sweetgrass, Manitoba Cree, 1872
                 NA-1406-124  First Nations of Eastern Canada, 1879 ( shows what appear to be d/r bows)
                 NA-843-31      Cree hunting equipment, western Canada, 1881
                 NA-1716-2 & Na-716-3  Joseph "Joe" Healy, Blood, in war dress, including bow, arrows and quiver, 1886
                 Na-1297-6      Mark Poucette, Stony, 1900
                 NA-1773-27    Blackfoot bows with bows and arrows, 1885
Not all Cree, but likely similar.
These photos are also available from Glenbow on high def DVD.
I numerous times saw an actual bow and arrow (Blackfeet?) on permanent display in the museum with other artifacts, including a scalp taken in fighting. If you visit there, it would be easy to estimate the dimensions. Their archival staff are also very helpful and would probably provide you with info on Cree weapons.

Offline paul craig

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 06:15:27 pm »
Correction: should have been 'Blackfoot', not "Blackfeet' in last paragraph.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 09:37:26 pm »
Diligence - I was just checking out that link you posted.  Although it doesn't really apply to what I'm looking for, I found it to be interesting.  I've never seen the the 3 piece cable backed bow (ihualik) before.  I would imagine it would be a lot more time consuming to make than the other type.

Paul - I'm having some issues finding those pictures.  I've tried searching by image # and by description - I'm not sure why it's not finding any matches.

As a side effect of trying to find info on Cree bows, I've been learning a lot of other info about the Cree culture that I didn't know before.  Very interesting reading for a rainy afternoon!

Thanks for the info guys.

Offline paul craig

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 10:14:09 pm »
Cameroo: I went into 'Collections & Research'
                then under 'Search the Collection', in "Select Search Database', choose 'Photographs'
                 then under 'Search the Catalogue', in Keywords/Phrase enter 'bow' and I searched Years 1800-1900
You'll get a lot of Bow River pics, but I don't know how to refine the search to strictly bows. This is probably clear as mud, as I'm not too computer savvy. Let me know how you do or if I can be of further help.   Paul