Author Topic: This may not matter to you, but...  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
This may not matter to you, but...
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:39:44 am »
I saw my very first yew tree tonight! I've seen grainy pictures of yew trees and bows but never until now have I seen a yew tree.  I was walking around the local lake  in the center of town, when I began to wonder if there were in fact any yew trees around.  I thought, "the lake has been here for over 70 years (manmade) and has lots of old, and beautiful trees, so there must be at least one!" As I look up after that exact thought, I see it. I have never seen one "in the bark", haha, but I know this is it. It has scraggly limbs, with scraggly needles, the bark is scaly, it certainly stands out. Its profile is unmistakable, and there is an aura of great age, power, and wisdom surrounding it. Coming back to my senses, I notice a placard near the base of the trunk that reads "Irish Yew 'Taxus baccata'" It is a beautiful thing.

Call me weird but there was something magical about seeing that tree. The Yew tree no doubt in my mind contains a wise, knowledgable spirit about it. 

~Dag

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: This may not matter to you, but...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:35:43 am »
I felt the same way when I was able to find and identify my first osage tree. I didn't know it grew in my area but once I could identify it I  found it everywhere.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:26:20 pm »
The first one I saw was in the church yard at Tinturn Abby in England. I agree. They look awesome.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:05:17 pm »
Not weird at all, I felt the same way when I first located Yew where I used to live.  Imagine my excitement when I got permission to harvest some.

Mark

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:51:18 pm »
Yeah, I doubt there is any chance of harvesting any part of this tree. Then again Im not sure I want to because it is so stunning and beautiful.  Maybe if I get lucky and catch a tree crew down there someday...:)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »
If you like a nice Yew tree, here's one so beautiful it has a sort of Art Nouveau look, like a wooden waterfall :D.

It's in Hampshire (UK) where I've cut a few good staves.
Enjoy
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 07:57:44 pm »
That's gorgeous Del. I zoomed in and saw branches cut off. Hmmm? I wonder who did that  ::)
and I also notice bare ground underneath...lol.  :laugh:

And I can say from the bottom of my heart...I love yew ;)

I remember the first time I saw my first Osage trees too. I stopped the car and got out and went up to them,and instantly fell in love with them and was so fascinated that such a gnarly tree could yield amazing bows. I think the most accurate way to describe the feeling is like the first time a man sees a nude woman.  O:)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39:30 pm »
Blackhawk:  Amen brother!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »
Haha, you guys are funny!

An interesting fact about the yew tree I found. I went back there today and read the placard again and it said that the tree "Arose in F??????? Ireland, 1750"  A very old tree! Walking around a little bit more I found two Pacific Yew trees both about 30-45 years old.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 02:07:57 am »
The first yew tree I ever saw was in a cemetary in Beaverton Oregon. It was part of a walk my wife and I would take when visiting my sister out there. I knew just what they were the minute I saw them. There are 4 or 5 of them lining the driveway through the cemetary. They are all multistemmed so looked like good bow wood to me, but....  ::)
  The first real osage trees I saw while driving up I-75 through Kentucky, Ohio and into Indiana on our way to the Syracuse Indiana area. Once I saw the hedge apples the trees stood out even at 70mph.  ;D 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC