Author Topic: Gathering on the Water  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Re: Gathering on the Water
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 08:30:33 pm »
Haha Criveraville, Seems someone beat me to it.   :laugh:

Carmeroo, This one is just under 45#.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:33:58 pm by Alpinbogen »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 10:02:44 pm »
 That 'Yak is Sweet. That is on my list to do. I have two plastic ones, but, like you I want a ocean going kayak. I have a good friend that has built 4 and he is using real thin wood they use on Hydroplane Racers. He made up his on gun design for sealing all the seams from the inside with epoxy. Guess it pays to be an Engineer? He has one boat that is just used for a Template, now I just have to find the time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 08:11:18 pm »

I love joinery!  That is a beautiful boat.  How do you pronounce that?  Are you in Greenland?  I would like to build something like that using joinery, and 1/8th inch cedar strips, in a cross pattern for strength, using the West system.  Which is basically a hard epoxy.  It is a neat system, and you can make a lot of things using it.
Very light, and very strong.  Again, a very beautiful boat.  Did you seal all the ribs, and spars first?  Very nice work.  Do you use any "Fox" wedging in any of your work?
It is used in joinery for making furniture, without using a peg, and it holds!  It is basically mortise and tennon, and the tennon is saw lengthwise, and a small measured wedge is put in the slit, and then the tennon is driven home and the wedge seats, and spreads the tennon out, and makes an extremely tight and strong compression fit, without using any glue.

Wayne
                                                            Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:27 pm »

Ooops, I didn't catch it in time.  On the tennon, I meant it is sawn across the width.  :-[  ::)
                                                       Wayne

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 10:42:12 am »
Stickbender, Ha, no I'm in the US.  What you're describing would be a strip built kayak.  Beautiful boats for sure, but VERY labor intensive.  I've never heard of that fox wedge, but I can envision exactly what you say.  Sounds interesting. 

Anyway, I used the ground shale and coal pigments on a bow for the first.   I'll post pics when everything's dry.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 11:13:45 am »
Nice boat!  I'm going to have to take a look at that book ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:30 pm »
Well, I finished a bow with the coal and shale pigments.  The bow is made from a hackberry stave that I also gathered on the water late last fall.  This was my first bow from hackberry.  It takes nicely to toolwork, but seemed to take a little more set than I wanted.  That may have been due to building it entirely outdoors in the summer heat and mugginess.  I like it enough that I also roughed out its sister stave and recently cut another hackberry tree.  It's 62" and draws 62# @ 25".  I mixed the powdered coal with teak oil finish, wiped on a heavy coat, waited 1/2 hr, and wiped off, leaving a sort a neat streaked finish job.  I did two coats of coal and teak oil, then another with powdered shale and teak oil, wiping off in the opposite direction to get a subtle cross hatch texture.  I sprayed 2 coats of satin spar urethane over that to kill the shine.  I think I'm going to get some woods time with it this fall.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:38 pm »
Man thats a stack of bows there behind you! Show us a pic of them!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Grunt

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 02:05:17 pm »
This is my third sea kayak. It aint wood but the kevlar layup only weighs 46 pounds.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »
awe man, that is sweet Grunt!  I've always wanted to build one of those...was supposed to do a Father & Son build with my ol' Man years ago but he got too busy and we never got around to it.  Very nice work.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »
Very Nice looking Bow!
Like that finish and the Bow over all.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 01:12:17 am »
 :o I like it all nice bow an boat.