Author Topic: Archers Tale  (Read 3864 times)

Offline neuse

Archers Tale
« on: July 16, 2011, 10:41:25 am »
Just finished reading Archers Tale by Bernard Cornwell.
Historical novel about French and English.
It did have alot of foul language that I did not appreciate but was a good book to read.
I am now reading the Vagabond, which is the follow up book to Archers Tale.
Who else out there likes to read?

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Archers Tale
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:42:05 pm »
Love to read, always have 2-3 books going at once (one on CD in the car).  How prominent is the archery in that book?  Wonder if the library has it?

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »
I am and always have been an avid reader.

Lane

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 06:01:49 pm »
Yep, me too.

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:52:14 pm »
Careful reading that Bernard Cornwell.  I got started and couldn' stop until I read everything he has written.  The archery is the main part.  I found all of his books at the library.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline neuse

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:55:04 am »
What PolarBear said, bows and arrows are abig topic through out.
Also suites of armor, crossbows, mace and more.
I do alot of shopping at half price books, still cost money but nothing like Barnes ans Noble.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 11:37:31 am »
Mary checked the library on-line, and Archer's Tale will be coming home next week.  I've got to get on the stick on the CJ Box novel I'm reading now so I'm ready.  The last 2 of his I've read are set in Montana and the hero is a former game warden.  You might like them if you go for that kind of book.

Used to shop Half Price Books a lot, but lately we're just used the library.  I used to love to go through the dollar section at HPB.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 10:26:11 pm »
George I have read all of CJ's stuff and wish there was more. Just started " Hunger Games' (juvenile) and it deserves it's raves.
We are primarily library people but my wife gets an educator discount at BAM so we use them a lot.
Last week I requested books on native South Carolinians cause I could only find two online. The librarian is a good friend and she found 31. I took 'em all.

neuse, thanks for the tip on Cornwell. He is in my future.

Lane

Offline neuse

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:49:59 am »
George I took your mention of CJ Box and googled. Looks good, I will probably go get one of his next.

Still reading Vagabond, I really want a yew bow.

Offline TBod

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 06:22:39 pm »
I'm with Polarbear. Cornwell is addictive, good stuff!

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:04:19 pm »
Love to read and sounds like George and I have the 3 or 4 at a time thing in common, my wife used to mess with me about it until she quizzed me a few times. She didn't think I could keep track of which stories were which. I can't seem to keep up with television shows (unless they are older ones I can watch on netflix) and going to the movies cost to darn much. I've noticed the special effects in my brain are still better than they can do on screen anyway.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
Just finished "Archer's Tale" on the way home from a fruitless hog hunt yesterday.  It was a very interesting read and now I'm anxious to get the second book in that series.  Thanks to all of you that suggested it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Loki

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:56 pm »
When you've finished Harlequin the third and final book in Cornwells Grail saga may I suggest 'Azincourt' by the same author.
http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm?page=2&BookId=49
Durham,England

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 09:32:46 pm »
Old thread i know but hey that was a really good book. I'm requesting the 2nd one Heretic to my local library. Finished Downs the Fire last week, it was so so and Archer's tale this week. Was quite impressed by the story. I usually read non-fiction but this was appealing to me although the ending wasn't quite what i expected.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:02 pm »
Yup, it is a great book, I'm lazy and have insomnia so I use my iPod and downloaded it from my Library. 
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~