Author Topic: Slightly Different Sinewing Method  (Read 4330 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Slightly Different Sinewing Method
« on: June 22, 2007, 11:58:47 am »
I sinewed a 52" bendy handle osage bow last night.  I tried something different this time.  I couldn't make myself sort out the sinew strands into bundles like I normally do, and comb the ends.  Just laziness on my part.  What I did, was grab a handful out of the bag and dunk them in water, then pull ends that stuck out past the rst out and laid them back in the bundle so the lengths lined up better.  Any chunky ends, I cut off with scissors.  I got things lined up by dipping them in water and running them through my fingers to remove excess moisture.  Then dipped in glue and applied to the bow.

It worked pretty well, not as smooth as my other method but didn't take the couple of hours of prep that the other way does.  I wrapped the bow in an Ace bandage and removed that this morning, it is drying slowly in the AC of my house.  Will keep you posted on the outcome.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:01:23 pm by tom sawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: New Sinewing Method
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:14:08 pm »
I read your article in PA on the way you do sinew and it looked like a neat way to do it,but did look like a lot of trouble and some wast,The way you did this one is the way I have done it and it turned out pretty smooth I am sure not as smooth as the other way but lots quicker and very
little wast. :)By the way the Picture I took of you and your wife in Cloverdale turned out nice
I had them developed and now in my Cloverdale album.I hope that was your wife ;D ;D :o
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:24:44 pm »
I believe ole Pappy may have our (sick) sense of humor Lennie.  LOL

I don't think laziness is given the full credit it deserves sometimes.  I like to think of it as being frugal with one's time.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 12:31:08 pm »
Yes David I do.I always say work smart not hard. ;D I don't always follow my own rule but I try.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:54:19 pm »
She was somebody's wife.

The only thing I forgot to add, was to rinse off hands each time before you reach in the bag of sinew.

Pappy, I am going to put a snake on this bow so I wasn't too worried about the smoothness.  So far so good on that, of course it hasn't dried enough to start cracking yet.  If the bow turns out nice, it'll be Shannon's new bow.  I'm going to let her pick out a nice snakeskin for it from Mike Yancey's booth at MOJAM.

Her boy did see it and asked me if it was short because it was going to be for a kid.  Is that a hint or what?  I think I'll make a couple more short blanks and let him and my daughter finish a bow at MOJAM.  That ought to keep them out of trouble.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO