Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 85332 times)

Offline Matt S.

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2011, 11:54:20 am »
I got a possible candidate tillered out to 28" and have put maybe 50 arrows through it. I still want to tweak a few things before declaring it "done." I tried to take a few teaser photos this morning before work but the blasted batteries were exhausted. They only seem to work for a couple of shots before needing recharged...

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2011, 04:14:09 pm »
Getting ready to do some final work on mine. Went with a nice mollegabet design, shoots pretty quick and feels heavy. I gotta do some final weight reduction, had her pulling about 44# at 28" and I wanted to raise the weight so that when I did final sanding and everything I would end up in the wheelhouse. So I toasted the belly and I screwed up making some pin nocks so I had to chop those off resulting in me piking the tips down about an inch. So now I'm pulling 50# @28" after final sanding. I'm still shooting her in though since piking it down so hopefully that helps lower the weight some and then I can just sand the belly lightly for the extra couple of pounds or so I might need. Try to get some pictures up on here tonight of what it looks like now before I add a finish and handle.

~Barry

P.S. I was also thinking as a way to possibly hold down costs we might be able to have everyone ship to blackhawk for the testing. Then once we dertermine a winner we can get an estimate on shipping from the post office to ship the bulk package to it's final destination and then just divide that out amongst all the guys and then have them send the additional funds at that point. Don't know if that would help hold down costs or not, just an idea.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2011, 05:55:28 pm »
Barry, sounds like it is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see some picts!

I've never heat treated a red oak board bow before. Is this a risky task? The only way toasted bellies add performance is through reducing set/adding reflex, right? If so, my bow has low set already, I'll have to decide if it's worth messing with.

P.S. I was also thinking as a way to possibly hold down costs we might be able to have everyone ship to blackhawk for the testing. Then once we dertermine a winner we can get an estimate on shipping from the post office to ship the bulk package to it's final destination and then just divide that out amongst all the guys and then have them send the additional funds at that point. Don't know if that would help hold down costs or not, just an idea.

I like this idea. Any way to cut back on costs will help all of us and maybe convince others to join in ;)

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2011, 07:21:45 pm »
Actually Matt you can gain some poundage with it as well by drying out the limbs. But as you said, I put the bow in my tip flipping jig, without flipping the tips, just trying to straighten the bow back out. But I had a lot of room to lower moisture because the bow was coming in at 14% so I toasted the belly to remove some and I probably gained about 5# to 10# from that and probably another 5# or so from having to cut the tips down. So it's pretty straight now, took on a little more set because of the additional stress put on by cutting down the tips. It's not looking too bad so far, I'm excited to see how it turns out once I get the stain and handle on it.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2011, 11:28:39 am »
I did some more sanding and tweaking last night and just couldn't wait, so added some stain. I also measured its weight, it's pulling 41# @ 28". I'm not sure if I should try tempering the belly just a little to pick up a couple extra pounds or just call it good.

Here are a few teaser photos (not the best quality)

blackhawk

« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2011, 11:42:35 am »
Barry not sure how that bulk shipping would work. I wouldn't want any of the bows to be damaged. Does anyone know exact details on the best way to ship multiple bows at once?

MattS that's looking pretty slick

Offline johnston

« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2011, 11:45:47 am »
Hope to finish over the weekend. Work schedule has been killer but I am not complaining. Very sorry to hear about the guys that were laid off.

I will ship any way y'all want. Just post instructions.

Lane

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2011, 12:24:29 pm »
I was thinking that we could find a larger box that they would all fit in, but  to maybe bubble wrap each one individually within the box.

~Barry

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2011, 05:24:56 pm »
I included a bow sock with mine.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2011, 08:34:46 pm »
Iv been working way to much to even do a scrape on m bow :( hope life will ease up soon I'd really want to see how this turns out
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #205 on: August 22, 2011, 12:51:51 pm »
ahhhh finally off work for the summer!  so while at work i got the front view shape cut out and got the handle and the tip overlays glued up.  but still got all the tillering and finishing work to be done.  should be a fun week :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »
Got my handle cut out last night, now just some final shaping with the rasp/file and belt sander and then some shooting to see how it feels with the new handle on. Gotta see where the weight is coming in at may need some additional sanding because I believe it was coming in a few pounds heavy for the contest parameters. Hope to be putting on a coat of stain and waxing her up in the next couple of days.

~Barry

blackhawk

« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2011, 05:58:23 pm »
Sounds good guys. Im lagging behind now. Mines still waiting to be tillered out. Life was supposed to slow down but it didn't. Hopefully next week I can start bending her.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2011, 04:51:02 pm »
I know how you feel mine is collecting dust rite now :( 
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2011, 12:37:19 am »
Don't mean to push, guys.  But, September 15th is coming probably a bit sooner than you think.  Remember, putting on a finish, twisting a string and making a grip take about a week.  So really, you've only got a couple of weeks to tiller and shoot it in.

Just sayin'.....

(Glad that I got on mine right away.  I'm crazy busy now, too!)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI