Author Topic: Found the Fish... Galveston  (Read 5943 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Found the Fish... Galveston
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:46:09 pm »
Found the fish around Galveston on Sunday...

Course talking with my fishing buddies scattered out over the bay system, so did everyone else...  :)

I was a Red short of full limits, but just ran out of Mojo to stay on the water.
It was Bloody Hot, but so were the fish...
On the water buy 5:30, off the water by 11:30.

-Gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline cracker

Re: Found the Fish... Galveston
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »
Durn it man looks everyone is loading up but me.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:44:00 pm »
That looks good man! My brother is in LaPorte. Has been tearing the trout up this year.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Gus

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 06:01:06 pm »
I hear ya...

In truth I have been going through Fishing Withdrawls this year.
We have been all babied up, having our second boy in February...
This was only my third outing of the year.

But I aim to do better... at managing my babying to fishing time.
And once it starts cooling off I will work to combine baby time with Fishing time.

Sometimes I don't know how my grandparents did it.
They used to take me along fishing, in the boat, beginning when I was a month old. :)

-Gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 02:07:17 am »
Man oh Man, that is some good catching and good eating there, a real fine fishing trip.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:29:28 am »
Thats a nice mess of trout and spots(smaller reds). I love those little spots for eating.  Don't care much for the trout for eating but love to catch them.  My friend Richard has been trying to get me down to the SC coast for a fishing trip. They went out last week and cought 10 fish(reds) between 20" and 30". I went a few years ago just off Hilton Head Is. and cought a 27". The slot is 14" to 24" for keepers.

Kenneth, I'll have to get you out here for a saltwater fishing trip. I've got connections!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:23:58 am »
 Looks like a great day. Fishing has turned on this side of the lake, too. Everybody is catching Reds, and Trout, sharks and Tarpon. Reef fishing is real good if you can get them in the boat before a Goliath Grouper swallows your catch.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gus

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:12:36 pm »
I hear y'all...

Rode out Sunday with a buddy in his Whaler.
But where we caught the fish I could get my Bayliner into without too much trouble.

The Trout were all over in 4 to 8 foot of water.
The Reds (22" and 24") were in 2 to 3 foot up on the reef.

Trout is good eating but I mostly fry it for parties. Got the fillets chillin on ice, gonna cook'em up for some friends tonight.
But Reds are pretty much my insore favorite. Grilled on the half shell, or just grilled out right. Can be hard to beat.

Been trying to get my maintenance done on my rig. My mechanic has been booked lately.
I'd do it myself but its a warranty issue on my powerplant.
Once I get her caught up I'd be happy to get some folks out fishing if y'all get down this way.

Pretty much strictly saltwater, Bays and near Offshore.

-Gus

Conroe, TX

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:18:42 pm »
I'm kinda partial to those reds on the halfshell myself :D. I'll keep that invite in mind. Have been trying to hook up with brother and his boat going on 3 years now. Where are ya down there Gus?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Gus

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 02:39:43 pm »
Based out of Houston, West Side, mostly fish out of Galveston and Freeport.
But will haul out to an arc extending from Sabine to Mansfield...  And out 20 nautical miles.   ;D

Been planning to go out and wear the Black Tips out.
Maybe chase some dolphin when they get in close.
Or visit the Liberty Ships out of Matagorda, the Snapper have been running unusually large this year.
Have to work within the wacky season on the Snapper though until they close it, then it is state waters only.

Love Offshore but will not push the conditions in my boat.
She'll handle four to sixes if she has to, but its a white knuckle ride as she's only a twenty footer.
Never head offshore in bumpy conditions (2-4's) but have come back in, in rough conditions (6 to 8's)...
It's hard on the boat and passengers and best avoided, but sometimes stuff happens.   :)

-Gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:51:21 pm »
Oh and just for the record.

I don't allow drinking of alcohol on board the boat.

Not judging anyone that does allow drinking on their vessels.
Heck I have done it in my younger days, which is why I don't put up with in my present days.  :)

Happy to hoist an adult beverage and toast a happy and safe return after Props and Wheels have stopped turning.

-Gus

Conroe, TX

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:59:27 pm »
I hear ya, that's sensible. His boat is a twenty too. Said the waves were around five in the bay the other day. Like to beat em to death but they caught trout anyway :). Man, i'd love to get a little offshore and catch anything that lives out there. Haven't done that in years..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:37:42 pm »
Here is the red I cought a few years ago off Hilton Head Is. SC.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:27:40 pm »
All Right Pat B... That's some purty Grill Fodder...  ;D
I love'em like that, can't hardly mess them up when they're table bound.

Yes Sir Cowboy, it can be hard to leave'em when they are bitin'.

Here's some flounder we caught a while back... I think it was just outside the yacht basin in Galveston...

Just Kidding.   >:D

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 04:32:20 pm »
Hey Pat who is the ol' guy holding your monster Red?............you ocean guys are so dang lucky! I used to love fishing until I spent a week in the Keys fishing, I never felt the same about fishing up here again. I rarely go anymore, just waiting for my next trip to the keys.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.