Author Topic: Stickboy's first stickbow  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Stickboy

Stickboy's first stickbow
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:37:07 am »
So.  I've wanted to make my own bow for a while, but never knew how to go about it.  A couple of years back, I was doing some research on just how one should go about such a thing, and came across a copy of "The Traditional Bowyers Bible, vol.1".  I read it, then proceeded to read vol. 2; and as per some advice in one of them, stopped researching, and started making a bow.

I'm not sure what is the particular type of wood I'm using here: I cut the log from a tree that was topped by a thunderstorm.  The tree is some type of evergreen and doesn't have any cones that I ever found; but that's about as much I know.  Its' fairly soft, and easy to work.  Also, it's full of knots, so it's got/is developing some character, which is neat.

"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38

Offline Stickboy

Re: Stickboy's first stickbow
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:38:37 am »
Trying to work around some of the knots to see the potential for a bow...

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:40:34 am »
Bow ready for tillering...

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:43:01 am »
Initial tillering. 

Offline mspink

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:28:46 am »
Take your time, follow the advice in the bowyers bibles and you should be fine. I made my first from hick right after reading those books quite a few years back and it still shoots today. Didnt have that much character though. But i think you will make a shooter. Looks like your well on your way. Keep us posted.
Aim small miss small!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 02:44:31 am »
So far so good may the force be with you!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 09:40:39 am »
Thanks! Will do.  I made a lot of progress with tillering yesterday -- the limbs are finally starting to flex!  Still amazed at just how lite this thing is, especially with the big knots it has.  Finally got my tillering board finished and mounted, and got the tillering boots/string finished, so I can put it on the board and tune up the limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:48:05 pm »
Looking good so far,you sure picked a challenging piece of wood to try your first bow but you will diffidently learn a lot with it. Good luck and keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 01:57:34 pm »
wow what a challenge pc,, keep up the good work   reminds me of my first bow,, hope yours turns out better than mine... :)

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 04:41:47 pm »
Heh-heh! Yeah, I really did.  I had hoped the log would yield a less gnarly staff, but once I saw what was in it, figured I might as well start with a tough one, otherwise I might never work up the courage to try a character bow.

So far, I do feel like I've learned a lot from it. Seems like bows from straight staves will be a breeze now (they won't; but it feels like it). 

When tillering, I've been putting my palm on the belly while I flex the limb, and *feeling* the areas where there is flexing tension, then removing wood from where there is no tension.  It seems to be working well for me so far. After rasping from "feel", I checked visually to see if the limb was curving as it should -- so far, it's working great. If it works for me, I suppose it's a good method to use, but has anyone else had luck with such a thing?

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 04:47:29 pm »
yea I always feel up and down my limbs while flexed while not flexed and while flexing it helps me tiller and helps be get in tune with the bow feeling the humbs and bumbs and thin and thick spots as well.

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 01:37:09 am »
Well... I broke it.  Lower limb snapped right off.  Tillering was going well, but the wood failed me:  Looks like there was a reason that thunderstorm broke it off the tree -- wood was weak.  There were a couple insect bores I missed earlier, too.  I think those probably came from the wood laying for a while before I harvested it.  Also, it's probably my fault... ;)

Despite all that, I would very much like to shoot my first bow *once*.  I've got the limb in a clamp and wood glued back together.  Would a sinew backing at this stage make it shootable for that one time?  If all else fails, it'll make a nice nostalgic display piece.  Or a few toothpicks.

Offline SA

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 02:02:49 am »
na , leave it.....make another. ;)
Shawn Acker

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:19:25 am »
Try again with a different piece.  All is not lost.  You learned a lot with that piece.  The sinew won't save it.  First things first, you should make a few bows before sinewing.  Find another piece of wood and try again.  I seem to remember a bunch of bowyers in Kentucky.  Used to attend the Kentucky Klassic years ago.  Put your feelers out and maybe someone has a friendlier piece they'd help you with.  Try maybe some hickory, ash or a straight osage stave.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 11:54:05 am »
Stickboy, I see you're in Berea! Went to college there and somehow ended up moving back to the area (this Hoosier NEVER thought he'd be a Kentuckian but here I am!). I'm just up the road from you in Richmond. I'd love to help you. You can send me a PM or email me.

That was quite a challenging piece of wood for your first attempt.