Author Topic: Sealing boo shafts?  (Read 4395 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Sealing boo shafts?
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:42:53 pm »
I am trying boo shafts for the first time and have no clue whatsoever on what to seal them with? Do they need to be sealed in the first place? I have always used wood of sorts and Im ignorant on the boo side. Thanks for your help!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

Re: Sealing boo shafts?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:53:51 am »
hey pearl,i've wondered the same thing.i made a few boo arrows and didn't seal them.mine still had the rind left on.they never warped and stayed straight.might have been the rind.i guess you could seal them just like any type wood arrow.hey ,but what do i know.i can't wait till someone chimes in because i am curious aswell.i am working on some tonkin cane and some hill cane right now.i might have to hold off until i get some info,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:26:21 pm »
Bamboo is hydroscopic, it absorbs moisture quite a lot. Sealing is a good idea. I don't think the finished shafts warp but they do gain or loose wieght and soften a biut when wet. I've used 3 Rivers water based arrow finish, danish oil and similar and got a good result

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:44:20 pm »
A friend of mine suggested one coat of Tung Oil. Its what he used. I assume dipping them is out of the question since they are hollow?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:07:58 pm »
I've used spray Poly, Wipe On Poly both from Minwax.  I've also used Tru-Oil.  All worked fine for me.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 01:03:17 am »
I use Tru-Oil when I seal arrows...or pitch varnish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:55:48 am »
Tru or Tung oil here 8)
Nate Danforth

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 05:48:10 am »
I've only made a few boo arrows...but I never sealed them...they are still straight as ever.  Even after head on collisions with tree trunks and concrete walls.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:58:44 am »
Could Spar Urethane be used to seal bamboo shafts?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32:10 am »
  You can seal them with the same thing you seal bows with.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 03:07:39 am »
I've only made a few boo arrows...but I never sealed them...they are still straight as ever.  Even after head on collisions with tree trunks and concrete walls.

All the ones I made without sealing have split just sitting on the shelf, it just gets too dry here....
Nate Danforth

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:11:16 pm »
If you like a "fast" finish, then try some thin runny super glue for your finish Pearly. That's what I mostly use on mine. Try that 4 pack for under a buck that Wally World sells. Three coats in under ten minutes. Cost you 'bout a quarter per shaft. But really, any good finish will do though, comes down to how quick you want to get your arrows into action.........Art

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 05:00:20 pm »
I use Massey finish on mine.  It is five min. Epoxy mixed with denatured alcohol.  I've lost arrows for over a year and found them good as new using the Massey finish.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 09:52:25 pm »
I use Massey finish on mine.  It is five min. Epoxy mixed with denatured alcohol.  I've lost arrows for over a year and found them good as new using the Massey finish.

He sent one of those to me, and its really impressive.  Looks perfect
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 11:55:41 pm »
 I always wondered how you got that glass like finish, Art.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?