Author Topic: Another Yew Hunting Bow  (Read 11365 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Another Yew Hunting Bow
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:51:39 pm »
This must be yew month.  Most of you know I make osage bows and have for many years.  Interestingly I have received 2 beautiful yew staves in the last couple weeks.  Who'd a thunk I'd ever get to try yew???  Both are quite short, around 58".  One is dead straight,

the other...not so much. 

I need to make an elk bow and I'm thinking a short recurve might be just the ticket.  I thought it might be wiser to start with the straight stave, looked at the growth rings, and they didn't look any worse than the osage I also worked last night.

So, I tried chasing one.

It sort-of works, except there's no difference in the feel of the wood moving from one ring to the next.  Be a bugger to go down several rings as the color change is about the only indicator.  Maybe it isn't necessary, I never hear anybody talk about chasing yew rings?  I figured I'd have to bend through the handle to get 27" of draw and am hoping for 60+lbs.  I'll likely need some pointers from the yew experts.

George

PS.  Compared to osage, the draw knife goes through this stuff like butter.  Much easier on the hands. ;)
St Paul, TX

Offline jpitts

Re: Another Yew Hunting Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:07:13 pm »
Well George, If anyone can straighten that stave out, it's you.  ;D
Guess I gotta be nicer to the yew fairy.
I'd go for a ELB with the straight stave but then again I am partial to elb's.
I have a Welchman elb I take hog hunting in the South Ga swamps.
Can't wait to see more pics
Thanks
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:24:34 pm »
May I ask why your chasing a ring on yew? Is it cause your crazy and still in Osage mode? :laugh: Or does the sapwood need thinned? It looks a little thick in your pics.

I rouged one of my many new yew staves down to early floor tiller and just scraped away the bark and cambium to get the back of my stave. And yes its a joy to work with. My favorite so far to work with. Cuts like butter. And purdy too.

It also looks to be low density yew by the size of your rings. Bigger than mine even. You know the yew experts will set ya straight. Keep us updated

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:37:34 pm »
Yep, it's both. :)  The sapwood is about a half inch thick, figured since I needed to thin it I'd see if I could chase a ring.  I only did it for about a foot.  I was so hot by then the lure of the pool was just too strong to fight. 

I never have put much stock in wood density or ring counts.  I just build bows with whatever I find.  Course, I've not had yew before.  I surely need all the help I can get.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:32 pm »
dont bother chasin yew ring but keep 1/4 sap on thaT SUCKER THATS URBACKIN BRO SEE THE POSTS KENNAN JUST PUT UP ON YEW DEMISONS BROCK

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:15:49 pm »
"What is your draw length?  1/4 sap is perfect. Leave the sap wood on and feather in any rough spots on the back then shoot for about 1.5" wide at the fade for your finished bow. About 1 3/8" mid limb and then taper the last 12" to about 1/2" at the tips.  Thickness about 3/4" at the fades tapering gradually towards the tips. Leave the last 12" about 1/2" thick. I would do the rest in the handle wrap apposed to a cut in shelf."

That is what Kennan said in my post hope it helps.

so with yew sap wood the rings can be violated?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »
Hey Blackhawk, don't you spoil the man's fun ::), if he wants to chase that ring that's part of the fun ;).
He's just wallowing in the feel of that smooth silky sapwood mmmmm.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:02:54 pm »
That is true too Del. But if he likes cutting into the silky smooth too much he might end up with a toothpick  :laugh:

Yeah. Im falling in love with yew  :-*

Im gonna go grab another one here this eve and rough another one down,cus i enjoyed the first sooooo much. I might be turning into a yew snob  :laugh:

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:22:27 pm »
Yeah. Im falling in love with yew  :-*
Aw shucks, you say the sweetest things  ::)
Del
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:27:35 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34:31 pm »
Really looking forward to this I really enjoy your build allongs!!!!!! I want to see you work that crooked one or are you working the straight one? Either way look forward to this! Thanks!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 11:38:10 pm »
Well thank you Josh, that was kind of you to say.  I have mixed emotions about which stave to work first.  I actually started working the crooked one and then the straight one arrived.  I assumed the straight one would be easier, but who knows.    Here's what the crooked one looks like right now.

This one is clearer, not a knot in it, but one limb doesn't have much heartwood.  And, of course, it needs straightened.  The other one is straight, has a few knots and plenty of heartwood.   In the words of Marvin the Martian..."Decisions, decisions..."

George
St Paul, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 12:06:39 am »
How bout we take a poll and vote. I say crooked one first.

I got another one of mine roughed down tonight. Man this stuff is quick to rough out and work with.  :)    you should have her done in no time.  :laugh:

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 12:59:39 am »
Are you roughing out staves, or bows?  I need a picture. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jpitts

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 02:30:06 am »
Start with the crooked one first George.
Just don't use the "Space Modulator"....Marvin might get upset  :laugh:
You do such a good job on your buildalongs. I really appreciate your efforts.
Thanks.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 02:41:32 am »
Good luck ...I vote for the one that looks like a bow already lol!  :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...