Author Topic: questions on cutting cane  (Read 3878 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Re: questions on cutting cane
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 06:09:47 pm »
When in the field I use hand pruners but they can tend to crush the culm (cane shaft) a bit causing some splitting.  So when I get home i use a coping saw or back saw to trim up the ends.   

If you cut straight down on the shaft, like you would a piece of wood, what will happen near the end of your cut is the part you are cutting off will push down all of a sudden and pull a strip of cane down the part of shaft you intend to keep.  To avoid this I start a shallow cut or kerf on one side and stop.  Then I rotate to the other side and begin cutting on that side until I meet the kerf mark I just made.  This keeps the cane in good shape with no peeling.   When you meet your kerf the part that breaks off does not push down with the radial grain.  Instead it pushes laterally to the radial grain preventing the peel. 

If that does not make sense just try it both ways and you will see the difference.  ;)

FAW

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 10:09:51 pm »
I'm new to the bamboo scene but am " hooked ". I've been doing all my cutting with a very sharp knife, using the roll and press method  to cut for tapering, and using a knife in conjunction with a  mitre box when installing inserts or foreshafts and need an exact 90 degree cut. I  haven't harvested any of my own yet.               

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:26 pm »
FAW...I can tell you from first hand experiance. Cutting cane in the field, it's a bad idea to use a knife and cut down at an angle. I got 8 stitcheson the top of my hand between my index finger and thumb :-[ >:(
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

FAW

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »
Hillbilly, sorry to hear about your hand, ouch!! As I said I have never harvested cane or bamboo yet and your lesson will be well heeded if I am ever able to do my own.