Author Topic: New rules for BOM contest  (Read 15629 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: New rules for BOM contest
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 12:20:43 am »
Just think about going to Books A Million and getting the magazine off the shelf. It's there to get more exposure, Books A Million is saying, " Thank's for the money PA, we just gave you international exposure".

and you know, Some of you guy's that enter BOM get the exposure also. I know a few of you sell bows, I can guarantee winning BOM jumps your price up for the bows you sell. If you buy it off the shelf, it's free. A subscription is $20, how much do you pay for beer, cigs, fish bait, hunting leases?

Lombard, as far as another Trad site jumping on this? Which one is going to put you in the Magazine? As far as I know there is only one other, Traditional Bowhunter, and they are 95% glass bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 12:42:38 am »
hell it's less than half the price to get a subscription, come on!!!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 01:05:39 am »
So where would one find their subscription #? I guess I missed  it?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 01:24:38 am »
Your subscription number is on the mailing label on your magazine right above your name. It begins with "PA******. If you still can't find it contact ann@primitivearcher.com and she will help you out.
  Excuses are easy to come by when it comes to supporting PA magazine. Not being able to afford $20 bucks a year isn't a good one in my opinion. We all have birthdays, Christmas and other occasions when folks give us presents. Put a subscription to PA on that gift list. That will be the least expensive present on your list I'd be willing to bet!  ;)
  And we(PA website) don't claim exclusivity for BOM. if any other website wants to give it a go, let them have at it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 01:24:56 am »
so do the bows for june bom get a pass this month or do the bom entries that are entered from non subscribers get pulled and do their votes become worthless. just a question, i will gladly subscribe but does it seem fair to have people who have entered there bows for june bom and hope to win and only find out that they need to be subscribers to have a valid chance to win. this an awesome site but in all fairness would it not be more well recieved if the july bom entries were required to be from subscribers, it would help ease the transition,just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:44:32 am by peshikthe »
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline NTD

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »
This is a "pay to play" move plain and simple, and while that is certainly and justifiably PA's perogative to do so, it is insulting to try and pretend it's about correct addresses and contact info.  I'm as capitalistic as they come and understand PA's primary goal is turning a profit.  But please don't feed us a line .  I'm a subscriber and have been for 5 cumulative years.  Pat makes good points about subscribing.  Let's keep it at that, an honest attempt to pay the bills and keep the mag and forum alive, and leave the bs out of it. 
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 02:29:26 pm »
This is a "pay to play" move plain and simple, and while that is certainly and justifiably PA's perogative to do so, it is insulting to try and pretend it's about correct addresses and contact info.  I'm as capitalistic as they come and understand PA's primary goal is turning a profit.  But please don't feed us a line .  I'm a subscriber and have been for 5 cumulative years.  Pat makes good points about subscribing.  Let's keep it at that, an honest attempt to pay the bills and keep the mag and forum alive, and leave the bs out of it.

I like This Guy............ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 02:43:42 pm »
    I tend to agree with you NTD, absolutely nothing wrong with trying to turn a profit but it is nice to be treated as an adult. I just renewed my subscription after a couple of years absence. This is an excellent sight and the BOM contest does contribute a lot to the success of this forum. Steve

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 03:32:10 pm »
I was a subscriber for several years.  I let mine run out and between some moves and career changes, I had a few year lapse.  I'm back in action and I intend to purchase my missed back issues, and I know how to get them.  I just have to do my inventory. I just re-subscribed on the web through this site.  Before I receive my first issue, how do I find my subscription number?.  I kinda have a bow I'd like to enter for July.

Both sides of the "pay to participate in BOM" issue make good points.  It is what it is.  It likely costs money and time to maintain.    Afterall, it is a great site.  For a "primitive" organization, the web site is pretty high tech.  Let's forego the drama, kiss, make-up and continue on with our extended friendships.  Besides all of the valuable tips and advice, isn't that really what it is all about?

...Passing it on.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »
I can understand the feeling you get when suddenly you have to pay for something you've just come to expect... but considering the BOM is part of the MAGAZINE, it only seems fair that they should be able to somehow glean from its popularity (and at $20 a year that's far less than any other bad habit any of us have). After all, this all is thanks to the wonderful work done by the folks at PA magazine.

Besides, it's a light-hearted little contest... is it really that big a deal? The forum is still open and free to everyone (there being a time when it wasn't), so you can still come and interact, learn, and show off for free. Considering the many hardships folks have to go through in life every day, I hardly consider this to be worth much fuss :-\.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 08:24:05 pm »
I found this site on the internet, it is only recently I even realized it was connected to a magazine,( maybe I'm  bit slow?),Never even seen the mag.. I always felt that my contribution was the imput I gave to the site, in posting bows , help, and inspiration etc. Didnt realize it was expensive to run the site......., I would have thought the site was very good advertising for the magazine and all those who contribute their time and energy to the site where automatically contriuting to the success of PA in general? This site must surely draw a lot of attention to the magazine and increase sales, it  must also provide a wealth of free pictures and material to fill the magazine?  I do feel the PA should be more grateful to all of us who post our bows and freely share our knowledge to make this site worth  visiting.....free advertising and material?
I do understand though if the PA needs money, dont we all? but this feels like a strange way to go about asking/pressurizing...,  I agree with NTD above..... It is also quite a bit more expensive to get the mag across the ocean.
I am  very grateful to this site though for all the help I have recieved, I'm not trying to be funny but I do feel a little pressurised, but I'll probably subscribe anyway, maybe you could send me my hat, for my last BOM win many months ago???
Just thought I'd throw in my worthless humble opinion.

David Hook
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 09:33:31 pm »
 Unortunatly my subscription ran out this month. Now with me being on workers comp from my knee, I don't have the funds for it, and it will take a few months to catch up on bills. So tht will put me out for a few month., BUT my real question is. Do non subscribers get to vote?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline half eye

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 11:09:09 pm »
I was a subscriber before coming to the site, and have been since. After reading calandergirl's note I had just put the renewal in the mailbox then this post come out, and thank God I beat the mailman to the mailbox, to retrieve it.

I'm pretty old and have seen a lot of different ways of going about something. I do not believe that the "do this or else" approach has ever worked very well. I don't enter the contest, and now wont vote for bows either cause it just seems right that if only subscribers may enter then only subscribers should vote.

Ya should have just left Calandergirl's post....I'll bet ya would have gotten more subscribers than doing this. I can say for sure you would have one more than ya got now.
rich rousseau
half eye

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 11:43:33 pm »
I was going to buy your book at Lowes, Glad I read this first.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 12:06:36 am »
Ya just made my point, thanks......ya get to make up your own mind, no threats involved.
rich