Author Topic: New rules for BOM contest  (Read 15616 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
New rules for BOM contest
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »
In order to get accurate information for the magazine, Primitive Archer magazine is requiring a subscription number to be given along with your name and address when you win the Bow of the Month Contest.  It is to ensure that the correct person is named as winner for that month and it also helps the magazine keep up with who won and has a way to contact the winner with information about publishing the winner's name and photos in the magazine.   Furthermore, if you post a picture on this website which belongs to Primitive Archer Magazine, you are giving The Primitive Archer magazine permission to use your name/photos in any and all future publications and advertising.  Thanks for your cooperation everybody!   :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:40:00 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: New rules for BOM contest
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:35:14 pm »
Subscription number???
I don't actually subscribe to the magazine, does that mean I'm not eligible?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »
Del, if you subscribed to the magazine it would be a great way to help support this free message board!  :) I think it's only 20 something dollars a year. If you buy each individual magazine every other month it's like twice that.  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:42:38 pm »
Also I have been told that whenever someone writes or calls about a bow they saw published for information to contact the bowyer about a possible bow sale or trade, it is hard for the magazine to track down the bowyer to give him/her the information so they can get in contact with the interested party.  With a subscription number, they would be able to type it in and have a mailing address and phone number on file which would help to facilitate the transaction for both the bowyer and interested party.   ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »
I live in Canada. Unless I subscribe to e-mag, I end up paying more for a subscription than purchasing off the newstand. If this was addressed, I'd buy a subscription.

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »
Adb, I went and looked up the yearly subscription price for Canada and it's 26.00.  There are 6 magazines a year and at newsstand prices which are 7.99 each for US and Canada... you'd end up paying around 48 dollars a year at the newsstand.  You'd save 22 dollars a year with a subscription.  :)

you are free to participate on this site without a subscription, Scott. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:25:11 pm »
   This website/forum belongs to Primitive Archer Magazine. All of the costs for this website are paid by Primitive Archer Magazine and at no cost to it's website members. Primitive Archer makes it's money by selling subscriptions. The more subscriptions, the more advertisers which help pay the bills too.
   Also, Primitive Archer Magazine makes the rules for this site.  ;)   This new rule doesnt mean that you as a member can't participate on the website as usual but what it does mean is without a subscription to PA Magazine your bow(s) will not be considered for BOM each month.
  And, if anyone feels unwelcomed here on the PA website because they themselves refuse to help support such a great site, I'm sorry. You will have to live with that. You won't find a more welcoming site on the web. I have subscribed to Primitive Archer Magazine since before it was published. I still have every issue that was delivered to my mailbox. My subscriptions and the subscriptions of all the others is what keeps the magazine alive and inturn the website up and running. When you buy off the rack, very little of what you pay gets back to Primitive Archer Magazine.
I(and the other dedicated Admins and Mods) spend many hours on the website and behind the screnes keeping the site running well and making it a family friendly website for it's world wide membership. We don't get paid for our time doing this but I feel it is a privledge to be able to support Primitive Archer Magazine and the PA website.
  So, if you really enjoy Primitive Archer Magazine, if you really enjoy the PA website, if you really enjoy the world wide coverage of primitive and traditional archery, if you really appreciate wealth of information that is free to you at your fingertips, if you really enjoy all the new friends you have made here and last but not least, if you really want your bow to be considered for BOM each month, then help support the magazine that supports this website. Subscribe to Primitive Archer Magazine!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jpitts

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 02:09:27 am »
I sent my first subscription in before #1 issue too   ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 02:29:26 am »
                                          Man......That was a Lot of ....IF's............ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »
Trying to cover all bases!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »
I've just been buying them off the shelf, but just got my subscription order in, didn't know they made less money from buying it off the shelf, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 06:59:27 pm »
Personally I think this new rule is crap.. I am only 15 and on one of the reasons that I enjoy this site so much is that it is FREE...  being a kid the money is much more to me that most of you so it ain't so easy to just fork it over... I have always enjoyed the competition and thought that it was pretty cool..

Does this new rule apply to this months contest?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 07:25:22 pm »
Personally I think this new rule is crap.. I am only 15 and on one of the reasons that I enjoy this site so much is that it is FREE...  being a kid the money is much more to me that most of you so it ain't so easy to just fork it over... I have always enjoyed the competition and thought that it was pretty cool..

Does this new rule apply to this months contest?

Bein' one of the youngins too, I can tell you once you have to start paying your own bills money starts to become far more scarce and meaningful than when you're 15 ;)

Quick question though... how do I find out my subscription number? I mean, I'm not getting a lot of bows done anyway, but it's probably good to have :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 10:00:59 pm »
I had been buying the magazines for the last couple of years at the news stands, but when I found out that a subscription helped out more, I sent in for it right away.  I love the magazine and this site.  I have no problem supporting it however I can.  I am fine with the new BOM rule also.  I will probably never win, but who knows.  If it wasn't for the magazine, this site wouldn't exist.  Just my 2 cents.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 10:54:41 pm »
I have been a Member for years...and a Subscriber for as long....I understand that the Site is paid for by the Magazine....but my opinion...for what it may be worth....is that this sure is an exclusionary rule ...and I don't believe it's a good one....and I hope it don't hort more than it Helps....but then...thats just my opinion....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:13:19 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome