Author Topic: Poor Cowboy Rootbeer Dalton Attempt  (Read 2837 times)

JustinNC

Poor Cowboy Rootbeer Dalton Attempt
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:37:23 am »
This is some of Cowboy's rootbeer (raw). Knocked off a nice flake that I promply proceded to break in half trying to thin it with a hammer stone, and ended up with a piece about 2" long and 1" wide left. The original piece was about 4" long and would have made a killer Dalton, but I should have Ishi=ed where I hammer stoned. Live and learn.

Anyway, here is what I salvaged and I was set on wanting a Dalton out of it. Just a small point and will likely be in the line up this fall on the end of a stick. Knowing I needed a few more hunting points, I quit while I was ahead with the thinning and just left it a little beefy. Ive been getting kind of greedy every since Mr. Shannon "Saw Filer" learned me a little pressure flakin and trying to get them paper thin with good flake scars and been breaking a lot of perdy would-be's. I got neither paper thin nor perdy out of this. It should be transluscent, but there is a white inclusin that seems to be common in root beer that is blocking part of the light, because parts of the middle are thinner than the tip. It's ugly but I hope it'll bust a lung or two this fall. I'll wait and send Paul something perdier out of his rock unless he just wants this one.  Oh and Shannon...I need a lesson in serrations!

Likes 1/16th" being 1" wide and 1/16" being 2" long

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Poor Cowboy Rootbeer Dalton Attempt
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:41:19 am »
I believe that one'll work!

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 07:48:01 am »
may be short but it'll work. nice
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:47:36 am »
That looks good Justin! Deffinantly tie it onto an arra and try it out. Did you ever try heating any of that stuff? It's all Pedernales and tough as nails until you heat it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:54 am »
That looks good Justin! Deffinantly tie it onto an arra and try it out. Did you ever try heating any of that stuff? It's all Pedernales and tough as nails until you heat it :).

Not yet. I haven't been at home long enough at one time to get a fire or charcoal going. I got some sand, got a pit, got a little charcoal and a little black locust to burn. I may try to get it going tomorrow night since I'll be home this weekend.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:07:18 am »
nice one
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:35:58 pm »
Deffinantly do that. Just heat ya up a small batch at first. You'll be amazed at how much it'll change..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 03:46:08 pm »
That one will certainly work, I like it...looks like an Indian sex point.. ;D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:58:33 pm »
That one will certainly work, I like it...looks like an Indian sex point.. ;D

Just a *$%@ing point, right? ;)

This one might get donated to a young fella who's dad sent me some turkey feathers and requested one arrow in return. I've got plenty of time to knock out some sharp rocks before Sept.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 06:34:48 pm »
Very Nice!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr