Author Topic: Any difference between boiling and steaming?  (Read 21489 times)

Offline TreyNC

Any difference between boiling and steaming?
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:56:58 pm »
I hear about people doing both, just wandering if one was any different from the other?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Any difference between boiling and steaming?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:07:27 pm »
From my experience the boiling doesn't work near as good and the steaming.  It takes longer.  I would guess it increases the moisture content a lot more too.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:20:15 pm »
My thought is just the opposite.I have a 4'x 2 1/2"stainless tube I set on my turkey cooker.In less than 20 minutes I can bend wood by boiling.I don't worry about the moisture,It's hot here and the humidity is right there with it.I let it dry for a day and then in the hot box.I can boil a dozen cane arrows at once,like spaghetti.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:42:26 pm »
Eddie, I am probably using to big of a container.  I have a hard time getting the water hot enough to bend the wood good. Maybe I better get a turkey cooker. It cooks turkey, bends wood, and cooks rock.  ;D Lets see your set up.  You should know I was going to ask for pictures.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:43:25 pm »
Water boils at 212deg(F) and then turns to steam which cools quickly so actually boiling water is hotter than steam. It is the heat that makes wood bendable  not the water. The water is the carrier for the heat and maybe a lubricant. by immersing the wood into boiling water you are allowing it to absorb the heat evenly all over.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:24:00 am »
                            Uh Justin..........I woulnd't cook rock in yer turkey cooker when ya get one ! :o :o :o ;).........bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 01:14:59 am »
                            Uh Justin..........I woulnd't cook rock in yer turkey cooker when ya get one ! :o :o :o ;).........bob
Heck, I don't know why not.  On second thought, if I cant get it hot enough to bend wood, I probably cant cook rock.  ;D

I guess Ill go to Home Depot tomarrow and buy some pipe and a cap and try boiling again.  Using a big pot don't work.Justin
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:26:22 am by Justin Snyder »

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 08:59:23 pm »
  Justin I'll take a picture tomorrow.I don't use the pot to boil.My buddy welded a flate plate on the bottom of the pipe.I can stick the whole limb in at once.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:50:42 pm »
You are a little smarter than me, but we knew that.  I used a pot big enough to fit half the limbs, and full enough to cover the wood when I got it in there.  :P  Nobody ever accused me of being smart. Especially not my wife.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 10:46:26 pm »
  Do you need Marie to tutor you? ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 11:26:35 pm »
UMMMMMM NO,  I mean no thank you.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 05:23:49 pm »
I believe that you can apply more heat to the wood by using steam. That's because boiling water (or any liquid for that matter) cannot get hotter than its boiling point. To change the state of water from liquid to steam, however, requires substantial additional energy. This is called the latent heat of vaporization. When steam condenses the additional calories are transfered to the wood as heat.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 01:26:13 am »
I believe you are right Gordon.  In fact, I know you are.  If it were colder than the water, it would be water.  ;D  If you put it all in the container, the hottest part of any liquid goes to the top. (With the exception of frozen water. When it gets below 4*C it begins to rise again.) This includes the steam.  If you put the tin foil on top like RyanO it holds the heat in and the area above the liquid water is hotter.  The reason I have had better luck with steam, is because you can heat a smaller amount of water to a high temperature faster.  Then the steam fills a larger container than the water did, making it easier to immerse the bow in the heat.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 10:10:49 am »
Having tried both, I greatly prefer steam. I usually use a setup consisting of a coffee can on a Coleman stove. I lay the limb across the can and seal it off with aluminum foil. 30-45 minutes of this will usually temporarily turn about any wood to rubber.

When it gets below 4*C it begins to rise again
Justin, what does "C" mean?  :) No habla Celsius. This is the land of Fahrenheit, dude. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 01:14:02 pm »

When it gets below 4*C it begins to rise again
Justin, what does "C" mean?  :) No habla Celsius. This is the land of Fahrenheit, dude. ;D
This is an international community now.  That was for our friends north of the border and the others across the pond.   For your benefit, that is 39.2*F..   Justin

SW Utah