Author Topic: Gonna start a mulberry bow  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Catnapper

Gonna start a mulberry bow
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:19:00 am »
Well I decided to layout a bow on a piece of mulberry tonight.  60" ttt....4" handle with 2" fades.... 1 1/2" wide from fades to mid limb then tapering to 1.25"  6" from tip.  Tips are 3/8".  I am planning on slightly recurving the tips. This is an exceptionally straight piece of wood and I chased a heartwood ring for the back.  Does this sound like a good layout for this type of wood? I would like to get 50#@27" out of this one. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get off work.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Gonna start a mulberry bow
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:34:20 am »
Sounds pretty good to me,I would probably go a bit longer,60 ttt will only be 57/58 by the time you cut nocks,and in my oppion that is pushing it a bit for 27 inch draw.Just my thoughts. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:57:46 am »
trust me you will need more than 1 1/2...I would go minimum of 1 3/4 more like 2 inches to mid limb then taper to 1/2 or 5/8....it will chrysal if you go for a heavy poundage....gut

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:59:46 am »
A pyramid limb design will allow for a longer draw through a shorter bow than that rectangular design you have in mind IMO. Staring the side taper 6" outside the fades and then on to to tips is a good compremise. An 1 5/8 to 1 3/4" width is where I would start. That leaves open the option of reducing width if needed. Good luck.........Art

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:55:24 pm »
Pappy- I would make it longer but my stave is only 60.5" long.  Maybe make it a bendy handle?

Gut- the max width I can get is 1 5/8" from this stave so I will take it out as far as I can to the edge.

Art- I will change the profile to the pyramid design as you suggested. Should be easier to tiller too! :)

Thanks for the help guys!
                                             Keith
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:14:39 pm »
I think with a bendy handle you should be able to get it done, but do leave it wide as you can. 1 5/8" should do the trick.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)