Author Topic: Another question  (Read 5617 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Another question
« on: June 26, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »
I chipped out a preform today.  It is from a spall on the edge of the rock.  For a change, I got the thinning done OK:

but I don't know if this will make a point ???  Here's the other side.

The spall was so thin (and me so much a novice) that I couldn't drive flakes all the way across and get rid of the white stuff.  It seems to flake OK, but would it be strong enough to make a hunting point?  Here's a thickness shot.

Don't know how much flint is down at the base.  The point end has got plenty.  Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Another question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:46 pm »
I wold keep working it down to a finished point and see what happens. It looks like you could get a stemmed point out of it or something with a narrow base.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:43:05 pm »
you got plenty of room to keep working. the limestone will hold an edge if you wanted to stop there though. but just so you know that thing is probably 400-450grains. thats a huge hunting point. gonna have to attatch it to a broomstick. youre doing great with it though.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:24:46 pm »
Most hunting points I make range from 70 grns to 130, and are half the size of the one you are holding. If it were mine, I would set a strong edge on and smack that cortex off,(thinning and narrowing as you go). You won't learn it until you try it.

Looks good so far.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:55:40 pm »
OK, thanks all.  I gave it my best shot.  Still don't have thinning mastered.  But, I think I did get a point.

I tried and tried to get all the cortex off, but that little spot eluded me.  Then, I noticed the base wasn't even when I took the pictures.  Good grief.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:19:20 am »
That is a great looking hunting point! No worries about it being a bit uneven, You can straighten that up with you mount it on a shaft. That will surprise you as to how much it weighs.

Offline piper

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:16 am »
Looks like you are getting better.........Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:03:57 am »
Looks  much better than it did at first. Ready for an arrow shaft. I use an Ishi stick for my final thinning ,with good platforms you can really thin an arrowhead . Your material looks real good.a lot like Texas rootbeer.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:28:01 am »
I bought a digital grain scale so that I can match the wt of the arrowhead to that of the field point that I practice with.  I think that the thinning thing will come in time. The more you knap the more you learn. The advice I was given that helped the most was to set up a platform and follow a ridge or high spot.  Just be sure to follow all of that stuff that tower told you in an earlier post. I think your arrow head looks real good. It is clear that you understand how the rock breaks so now it is a matter parctice and learning how to make real good platforms. I like that rock what kind is it?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 10:43:18 am »
Thanks.  I brought the point in to work and will weigh it.  I'll have to convert from grams to grains but that's no big deal.  I need to order a grain scale, my reloading scale doesn't go past 100gr.

It probably is Texas root beer.  I got this rock from Patrick.  Most of my points have been out of regular gray flint like I find at my lease, but I did get some of the beautiful dark stuff as well as some nice obsidian.  Bub sent me some obsidian slabs (point size) and I tried two of them yesterday.  It was real pretty stuff, but I broke one point in half part way through and knocked a big chunk out of the other one.  Flint seems a little more tolerant of my errant strikes. ::)  I hav'nt done much pressure flaking at all (and what I have done has been very poor).  Fortunately, Patrick's indirect percussion can be used all the way to sharpening the point.  When he does it, thinning is no problem as well.  I need another lesson, should get it in a couple weeks.  I can't stay away from the rock that long though. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 10:51:39 am »
Great looking point.  That would take a Michigan whitetail for sure.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 11:42:40 am »
Well, the point weighs 188 grains.  That's a touch heavier than I'd prefer, but it'll work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 12:06:56 pm »
Looks great George!  Looks deadly sharp too!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 12:09:34 pm »
I am going to try and draw some platform preparations that I use in in an hour. This is what I am currently doing but it could change next week if i find a better technique
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 12:24:51 pm »
Looks great George!  Looks deadly sharp too!

I just emulate you my friend.  Thanks so much.  Is the 9-10 still on for you?  I realized I hadn't talked to Hugh so I shot him an email last night.

George
St Paul, TX