Author Topic: Just Another Bow  (Read 18792 times)

SimonUK

Re: Just Another Bow
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 07:08:45 am »
It looks good to me Dana. But bows are unpredictable aren't they? Despite taking a lot of care, you can be disappointed with the end result.

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 08:18:45 am »
I'm a real amature (with only one bow) but thought I was beginning to see what other folks saw - (from looking at so many full draw pics). When i looked at your FDs, I thought, "Shucks, I've lost it again - those look like clean curves to me!" I was sure glad when I started reading the rest of the posts -  :D I hope your bow holds it's own - it's a nice looking bow to these ol' eyes - and your FDs are headed for my TBD this AM or afternoon, Dana.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/tbd13.htm
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 08:28:52 am »
Thanks ber, I truly appreciate the honor. I am flumaxed as to why its fretting, the last bow I made was from the same board
and it took little set and no frets. Its frustrating. If it doesn't rain after work I'm going to go shooting and try to put a couple hundred shots thru it
and see what happens. I need to get going on some bows from staves but waiting on wood to dry, Patenience eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 08:38:36 am »
AIN'T NOTHIN' WRONG WITH THAT BOW :)

MattE

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 09:06:56 am »
Your bow looks great! Wood can play tricks on you every now and then....It appears that your string hand isn't in the right place. Am I seeing things?.....  In my eyes,you still have a nice looking bow.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 09:50:55 am »
The top limb does have a slightly hingy apearence top it right out at the tip. The bottum looks fine to me. :) Some times you can do every thing right and still get fretts with white wood. :P I wouldnt worry about it to much, just start another! ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 12:06:50 pm »
    A good thing to keep in mind when tillering a bow is that the thickness determines how far a piece of wood can safely bend, the width will determine how far that piece of wood will bend. Both are equally important. Steve

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 12:17:13 pm »
I agree with Pappy. Not Worthy?????? ???  Only if you say so.  Any bow with a tiller as good as this one is certainly worthly.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:50 pm »
Don I consider it not worthy because with the fretting I don't believe its going to last.
I think a bow for the BOM should have a good tiller but also it should be durable.
This bow looks nice, but as someone else said I'd rather have an ugly durable bow than a pretty bow I can't rely on!

Badger thanks for the advice I need to start considering the width of my bows more.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 12:55:38 pm »
Looks like a pretty nice bow to me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 01:05:23 pm »
nice bow. i really like it
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 01:21:02 pm »
My pleasure, Dana.

David W, I got a kick out of your signature line. Please realize though, it actually is where the story begins. Every day is the first day of the rest of your life!!! Make them count - and enjoy them. Build and shoot lots of bows - that'll help  ;D
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 01:27:23 pm »
ill change it from its where my story ends to where my story beggins. :)

Offline david w.

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 01:31:01 pm »
i put that is where my story is now.

i really like the bow hopefully mine will be as good as yours ;)

a finnish native

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 01:37:11 pm »
I also see the fast bends at the low fade and upper upper limb. but they don't seem to be bad at all. the only thing that cathes my eye is that the top limb seems to bend less? not sure bout that either. nice job anyway.
I just noticed the same thing in my tuomi huntingbow. the tiller is good, but still a tiny tiny cryshal apeared during sunday.