Author Topic: stave splitting issues  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Bow Nut

stave splitting issues
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:26:16 pm »
This is the elm log I got yesterday and I am trying to split it today.  I started a wedge in straight down and the split ws looking good unitll it got about midway into the heart wood than it turned a 90 degree angle.  Is this a bad indication for this wood and is this going to be ok should I keep splitting it and knock that 1/4 off?

Offline toomanyknots

Re: stave splitting issues
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:53:51 pm »
Your startin the split on the end first right, and not down the log to begin with? Chanced are if your log is big enough you can cut a good foot off and be fine, but your probably gonna quarter it eventually anyway, so I think all in all it would be fine. IMO
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »
I think splitting is always a bit hit or miss, some woods are more difficult than others due to interlocking grain. I think Elm is one of those if I remember right... long time since I split Elm.
I'd say carry on now you've started, but once it's in half, get that sucker on the bandsaw.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 06:56:09 pm »
yea started on the end and you can see how deep it went ant then I started walking the wedges down the log and that happended.  maybe I should have gone deeper yea I hope to get 8 staves out of it.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 06:57:24 pm »
yea it is about 12 to 13 inches in diameter might have to quater it so it is more managable on the band saw anyway.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »
I've had that happen too. The last log I split did that. I started splitting from the middle and had more success. I may be inclined to start that split right in that drying crack. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:12:47 pm »
I split till my hands hurt today .I always start at the end and then leapfrog my wedges as the split develops seems to work for me.It also seems to follow the natural grain of the wood easier.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:42:47 pm »
I find at least 2 sharp axes, a nylon/copper hammer and some old broken bow tips as wedges works wonders with elm. If the split starts to wonder correct it a little with the next axe hammered in. I have had much more luck starting the split from the middle of the log as above.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:45:51 pm by dwardo »

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:57 pm »
well I tried going in from the center of the end and got a nice even crack across as I started walking my wedges down it started doing the same thing again but worse.  I gave up on it and broke out the chain saw and just cut the sucker right down the middle.  I spent 1 hour with sledge and wedges and made it now wear and spent 20 minutes with the chainsaw and poof it was in half lol not traditional I know but I had already ruined at least one staves worth of wood on it and did not want to ruin any more.  Might get a billet or two out of that section though.  Thanks for all the advise but this dang log was tuff as nails and I just could not risk ruining more of it.  Maybe with a bit more practice I can split elm.  the osage I have been using was from a log I bought from a local wood supplier.  Imagine that a hard wood lumber supplier with a osage log in Ga.  I split it after it was already dry as he had it there for 2 years and It split great only took me an hour to get my staves out off it.  I guess the interlocking grain makes a big difference.  now I know for next time as I have already spotted more elm that I can harvest.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 11:40:29 pm »
I've split elm for firewood and cussed so hard I took the finish off the axe handle...cannot imagine splitting a big log like that.  Kudos to you for sticking with it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 12:40:21 am »
Hi Folks,  The issue of splitting elm has come up before.   There are a few folks that get good at it, but elm is the very devil to split cleanly.  My one experience convinced me that just about any other wood is easier to work with.   A common suggestion is to run a kerf down at least one side to control the split.   Having a series of hatchets to cut connecting fibers is very helpful.   One suggestion I read recently ( wish I could remember who)  was to just get out a big drill and start placing a line of lag screws down the log.   He said the log would eventually just pop open along the line of screws.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 12:44:48 am »
Splitting elm sucks....BAD.  I split one elm log and don't plan on doing it again any time soon.  I would rather split 10 osage logs than one elm.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 01:17:52 am »
  ELM is a BEAST is'nt it but that inter locking grain sure makes a nice bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 02:18:05 am »
        When I was a kid I went to confession and for my pennance the priest told me I needed to split an old log into firwood he had laying behind the monastery, either that or say 10 rosaries. I chose the log, looking back I am pretty sure it was elm, it seemed like I pounded on that thing everyday after school for weeks to get it split. I triesd another log later in life and ended up putting a deep kerf on each side with my skill saw.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 02:26:34 am »
I second the kerf cutting idea.  Here's a link to my experience with elm, if you're interested.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25759.msg346004.html#msg346004