Author Topic: Big Storm Trees Down Need Help IDing them ok got it what yall think  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Bow Nut

Here are two.  The first I know is a oak I think red oak what do yall think?  the second I am not sure of If it is somthing good I want it though and it might not be there long so any quick help would be great. the leaves start first after that is other pics of the same tree.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:22:13 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline BowJunkie

Re: Big Storm Trees Down Need Help IDing them
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:15 pm »
The first one is red oak,
The second one,,, based on the leaf I would say chestnut oak.
Not a 100 % sure on the second one
Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:45 pm »
the 4th pic looks like slippery elm to me, based on the leaf, but i am no expert.. Looks like you are gonna get some bows out of that
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:32:47 pm »
is slippery elm as good as other elms?
Basically the second one is just a large brach that broke off that tree about 20 foot long and 10 inch in diameter straight to.  I will get it.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:33:48 pm »
oh yea.. the other name is Red Elme.. goood wood
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:34:50 pm »
Any elm is good bow wood. Beech leaves look alot liek that as well, but the bark si smoother.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:35:48 pm »
yup,

looks like red oak and elm, which I dont know the species. good wood!
Quebec, Canada

Offline druid

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:46:16 pm »
Second one seems to be elm.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 05:05:10 pm »
  The first is red oak and next is red elm or slippery elm. It's a good bow the white wood or heart. I've made bows for each and together. The enter locking grains a beast to split even worst dry. So I'd split it up now. I've got a red elm down to floor tiller now.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Bow Nut

Re: Big Storm Trees Down Need Help IDing them ok got it what yall think
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 05:26:27 pm »
her are pics of what I was able to harvist  still think it is elm?  the oak was to much to manage as I had little time and it was on the side of a road in atlanta oh and it was about 2 to 3 food in diameter so I got what I could out of the branch from the elm.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:32:29 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 05:38:00 pm »
first one is not red oak it is pin oak..red oaks have a turkey foot leaf....at least the southern variety ....plus the bark isn't as tight as in the pick..looks just like a pin oak in Ga...gut
  ga pin oaks have very small leaves these are very large and the bark is really not smooth on most the tree jsut the branches which is what you saw should have gotten a better pic of the bark sorry.  Pin oak is much smoother than that here in ga

Offline criveraville

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 05:42:09 pm »
yep, still elm

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »
awsome Im excited about using it and even more that I can identifie it now thanks to you fine fellas.  I love this site all of yall are excellent people and very helpful.  thanks A bunch

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 06:03:03 pm »
I say Red Oak also, the Pin Oak I have seen have smaller leaves and have sharp pointy things on them that hurt like heck to step on barefoot.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 06:06:26 pm »
where are you in Ga....I can trade you some mulberry for some elm....I am in Newnan....gut
  I am in atlanta I drive through newnan all the time on my way to our hunting property in marion county.  we go down 41 one exit past the 47 exit that you are probably off of.  I will trad some but I want to make a few out of it as well.  send me a PM

thanks