Author Topic: I finally noticed a change from high humidity.....  (Read 5128 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
I finally noticed a change from high humidity.....
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:46:11 pm »
I have been shooting and building bows for quite some time now and never noticed any changes in the bows from the weather until this summer. The last 3 days have been very, very humid and hot. I went out to shoot last night and my perfeclty matched shafts were smacking the side of my riser and flying like chitt! At first I though I was doing a little something wrong with my shooting. I wasnt. My bow must have gotten a little sluggish from the weather and just wasnt zipping my arrows like it normally would. This held true with a few different osage bows I tried, however my hackberry didnt lose a step and fired a perfect arrow as usual. It seems strange that it took up until this summer for me to notice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: I finally noticed a change from high humidity.....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:49:38 pm »
Interesting that it was so noticable so quik. What do you seal them with?
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:45:16 pm »
Tru Oil, lots of it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »
I finally got a digital scale and started weighing staves.  I have been watching the weight of a hickory stave slowly drop until this week.  It gained 0.3 oz over the last few days.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:02:26 pm »
I will have to experament with my finish (spar urethane) about 5 coats and see what it takes to gain moisture and drop in performance. I live in the north west of Oregon its pretty humid but not as bad as some areas I guess.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:12:14 pm »
I'm surprised the osage bows would pick up moisture and slow down.  Hickory is famous for doing that.  

Do you have a chronograph that you could get some numbers from?  It would be interesting to see how much it has lost.  
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:23:19 pm »
Yes I do have access to one I will get some numbers on one of my VM bows then leave it out for a couple weeks and see what the loss is and report back. ;D

Josh

Offline John W. Cooper

• Bronze Bow Archery
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:43 pm »
I do notice a pretty drastic change once winter comes along and my bows dry out.  I use about 12-15 coats of tru-oil.  A friend of mine has experimented a ton with different finishes and found that Zip-Guard 350 works excellently for moisture when dipped. It's quite expensive, though and if you aren't making many bows it wouldn't be worth it.
It is God who arms me with strength
   and keeps my way secure.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he causes me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
   my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
~Psalm 18:32-34

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:55:33 pm »
Elktracker
You wont see much change as your climant is wet ,wet .and wet!!
Not like ours wet to dry ,dry to wet,cold to hot.
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 12:23:20 am »
   I think bees wax is about the best moisture repellent.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 01:29:05 am »
I've read that tru oil is actually a pretty bad sealant in terms of moisture. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 01:50:17 am »
PD, was that osage bow sinew backed?  I've shot osage a long time and never have noticed sluggishness on an unbacked bow.  Mine all have a poly finish though.  Sinew backed osage is totally different, dropping at least 5lbs every summer.  Consequently, I've only sinew backed one bow since moving here and that was to protect the back.  Gave that one away promptly.  I'm really surprised osage got sluggish.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline druid

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 02:29:06 am »
I made bl bow when air humidity was 55%. It spent all winter in my cabin where humidity was 75-90%. When I weighed there was no change- it was finished with pig fat and bee wax over it. Works great.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 02:48:36 am »
Elktracker
You wont see much change as your climant is wet ,wet .and wet!!
Not like ours wet to dry ,dry to wet,cold to hot.

That makes since, heck we have only had like 3 or 4 days of sun here all summer lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 08:48:56 am »
No sinew on this one George. I dont have a chrony to actually verify it slowed down. What did happen were my arrows became too stiff and smacked my riser quite hard. I was stumped. I assumed it had to be the crazy humidity that set in around here the last week or so. The bow sounded louder, the arrows were too stiff and it just plain shot "funny". I have shot this bow lots and lots of times and know just what it should feel like when I draw and release. My shop is in our basement and iits 63 degrees and bone dry year round. All my staves are dried, stored and built/sealed down there. Maybe Im crazy blaming the humidity? I grabbed another hackberry bow and it was fine and dandy so blaming my form wasnt an option..............that day!