Author Topic: Favorite length, width and layout for Osage  (Read 6930 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Favorite length, width and layout for Osage
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:40:22 pm »
Hey folks, been doing a fair amount of reading and looking around as I get ready to layout another Osage bow.  This stave is very nice, hardly any twist, just a couple knots for character, etc.  It has plenty of width and enough length to get a 68"-maybe 70" bow out of...

So, I was wondering what layout, width, length, dimensions, etc have proven to be your favorites on an Osage?  Looking for a long-ish shooter in the 50#-60# range for this fall on white-tails.  Any pics, details or opinions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline artcher1

Re: Favorite length, width and layout for Osage
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »
About 65-66" is about as long as I would make an Osage bow Lee. Wood's physical weight and flexibility kinda gets in the way for Osage bows longer than that..........Art

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:49:36 pm »
Inch and three-eighths at the fadeouts is about the narrowest I'd go for an osage flatbow, and then double your draw length plus 10 percent for your nock to nock length.  If you add a bit more length it will shoot a little easier. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:58:51 pm »
Thanks JW, doesn't need to be super narrow...my latest Osage was a 56" ntn 56# 2 28" and only about 1" at the fades...

I'd like one a bit wider and longer but didn't know if anyone had found a "sweet spot" for a 28" draw length in Osage.  I've been more or less just cutting and shaping as I go and figured maybe on this one I'd give it a bit more of a "proper" try.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:14:45 pm »
Lee,

I'm with Art.  Most osage bows I make are between 60" and 66" long.  Most are between 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" at the fades.  If I'm building a bow for me it's gonna be around 60" long with gently flipped tips.  To me that is the best compromise between shootability and ease of use hunting.  Going out to 64-66" gives a little smoother draw and I have made then as short as 51", but for me I like about 60".

George
St Paul, TX

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:34:42 pm »
Generally rule, longer you go the narrower the limbs. So an 1 1/4" starting at fades works fine for longer Osage bows.  But you still need enough limb width at mid-limb to tips for lateral stability. I like to go past the fades about 6" before tapering to the tips to help with the lateral stability problem. Longer fades also to force the greater bend outward. And flip the tips from mid-limb out to prevent limb deformation. A FF string "really" helps with these longer Osage bows.

Here's a 66"er I made for my nephew who's doing a tour in Afghanistan at present. He's tall and lanky, but I expect it'll fit him.........Art

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »
Side profile

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:51:34 pm »
Artcher's point is valid, for sure.  You can go narrower if you add length.

Artcher, that is a fine example of what osage can do for a guy, lovely curves, sweet profile.  A fine weapon for a warrior.  I pray he comes back and lives long enough to wear it out.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Boudreaux

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:15 pm »
7/8ths of a inch at the handle, bend through the handle, about 52-56 inches nock to nock. I have a 51 inch 3/4 wide at the handle in the works now. Im kinda exicited to see how it is gonna come out.

Thanks
Boswell

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 01:42:02 am »
It's interesting, I go narrower on my shortest bows too.  You just don't need much osage when the bow is under 56" long.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 02:07:24 am »
im pqartial to mollegabet/holmegaard, and d bows, my molle is 57 tip to tip .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:26:33 am by peshikthe »
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:53:25 am »
Thanks for the pics Art...that is a gorgeous bow and should serve your nephew very well.  What do you feel FF adds to the mix with Osage?

Thanks for the other additional input folks...don't think I want the next one to be overly short.  my recent 56" (at 28" draw) has significantly more finger pinch than I am used to and than I enjoy.  After reading some of the thoughts I think something in the 64"-66" length will be part of my plan.  Still not sure on the width yet...
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:40:44 am »
Thank you for your thoughts and concerns JW!

Longer the bow the longer it's string Lee. That equals to more stretch and string weight. Not an overly concern with long limbs that are tightened up at mid-limb, but, if tillered to bend there, then extra hand shock and wrist slap can be a problem........Art

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:45 am »
ahh, makes perfect sense Art....thanks for the added explanation.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 08:48:11 pm »
Lee, I've only made one osage bow (so take this with a grain of salt), but it was 1 3/8" wide out to 12 inches from the fades, then the last 16 inches tapered to 1/2".  Seems to shoot well, but I noticed that despite being very easy on it while tillering, I got about 1 1/4" of set.  I also noticed that the vast majority of the set took hold on the tapered part of the limb.  But 1 3/8 seems like more than enough meat for the parallel part of the limb.  The bow was nearly 67" ntn, and 54 lbs at 28"