Linked Events

• N.C. Primitive Skills Rendez: October 03, 2008 - October 05, 2008

Author Topic: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendeszous.  (Read 97804 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendeszous.
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2008, 02:43:34 pm »
Sounds good, Dick-plus you're a better politician than me anyway.  ;D BTW, could you PM me your phone#? I fried my cell phone a few days ago and it had a lot of phone #s stored in it that I lost.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2008, 02:50:39 pm »
Its at the end of the plea on page 5 of this thread. I think that plea will get lost if we keep answering each other here. How do we keep it in front of people so they can see it. Should we put it in a pinned "Topic" or something.

Dick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »
Done.  O:)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2008, 05:05:14 pm »
Ya done good partner.  ;D Just had a heck of a storm go thru. Lost communications for a while. Amy and I and the dogs will be at the Museum about 9am Saturday morning. Talk to you then.

Dick

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2008, 03:38:01 pm »
Hey Dick,

Signed up here today and wanted to lend a hand with the event. I live closeby in Hillsborough and am really looking forward to this.  You already have my contact info.  It was nice to meet you face to face at the Schiele this weekend...Same goes for Hillbilly.  I will do what I can to help make this be the best it can be.  I know a bunch of interested people in the area & will  spread the word (along with other stuff).

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

DBernier

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2008, 05:34:50 pm »
Jim, could you send me your regular e mail so I can send clean copies of the flyer and map. Thanks

Dick at

rebsr1@wildblue.net

DBernier

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2008, 06:15:57 am »
Someone asked me "Why Friday, Saturday and Sunday as opposed to just Sat., and Sunday". I am hoping to get the press, radio, TV and newspapers there to advertise it some more for us, possably in the Friday nights editions etc. It is essential we have people set up Friday and or even earlier. It isn't like we have a few days there and have to leave. You can camp there two weeks if you want. Come early, leave late. There is no time table. It is privet land with no restrictions on us. Dennis, the land owner, is glad to support us in any way he can. I will be mowing grass this evening and tomorrow. He is even paying for the gas for us. So far we have 4 volunteers to spread among 15 or so demos. We need more help people. It would be a shame to miss this opportunity this year to flesh out this event.

Dick, Your benevolent dictator   >:D

DBernier

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
Things are comming along just fine. For my part, signs are done, flyer's/maps are in the pipeline. Firewood is being cut and stacked if we need it. Outside shower is almost done. Just need to hook up the hose. This is for use by us if it is too hot and we need to cool off. It is exposed so bring a bathing suite. Contacted the boyscouts and will meet with them this week. I would be using them for traffic controll and as a cooking vendor, hot dogs, burgers etc. On site vehicles are available to us, an ATV and a John Deer Gator. Still searching for vendors who will sign up and give us a chance. Met with Don Ward today and he will come and set up, Eagle Flight Archery, and help with demo's. Below is a list of volunteers who have expressed a desire to help make this a good show.

Dick Bernier
Amy Bernier
Dennis Dixon
Chuck Piper
Mike Gregoris
Wade Shikoski
Pat Brennan
Alan Shook
Berry McCall
Steve Parker
Jim Cornwell
David Knight
Andy Cipriani
John Shaffer ?
Bryan Langston
Louis Jones
Doug Meyer
Don ward.

This is a good start for us and I feel good about it. If you are comming I would ask if any of you have tables etc to bring them so we can spread them around. I have about 6 of them and will bring them. We need help and only with your help can we pull this off. Also you may want to bring any canopys you have "just in case".

Dick, Your benevolent dictator   >:D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:17:50 pm by DBernier »

Offline Hardawaypoints

Re: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendezvous.
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2008, 01:02:42 am »
I also wanted to let everybody know that I started another email address for this event that I'll be checking several times a day.
it is;ncknap-in@nc.rr.com  I have already contacted some of the local media to begin getting the word out & will continue to do so as I can.  I will be meeting with Dick later this week to go over a few things, so if anyone has suggestions , helpful ideas, or wants to volunteer for anything, please give me a holler.  I can also be contacted on my cell @ 919-810-2120 (it has vioicemail if I don't answer).  Thanks!

Jim
"Hardawaypoints"

DBernier

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2008, 05:36:11 pm »
Thanks Jim. Because Jim lives in such close proximity to me he is sharing some of the responsabilities of hosting this event.  So, by the way, I need to have someone head up the firestarting demos. That is bow drill, flint & steel etc. Whatever we can demo. I have about four sets of bow drills we can use to let the public try it out for them selves. I think this is really comming together. We are going to have fun. More later.

Dick, your benevolent dictator   >:D

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2008, 02:40:11 pm »
Dick, take the question mark off me, I'll be there all weekend. I can't wait!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

DBernier

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2008, 10:16:12 pm »
OK Allen. I wasn't sure soooooooo that is why the ?  ??? That is cool man. I have been receiving phone calls at the rate of about two per hour all day and into the night. Jim, my partner in crime, from Hillsboro is saturating the media with the info. I believe we will have a lot of people there.

DBernier

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2008, 03:02:17 pm »
For those of you interested, Jim has listed the event on the web page of Triangle.com. Here is the link to it:

http://events.triangle.com/burlington-nc/events/show/84403476-north-carolina-knapin-and-primitive-skills-rendezvous

The Scouts are going to give me a decision by Monday on the Traffic control and cooking. I personally think they will do it just so they can be there to see the goings on. We are crossing off a lot on our list. I will pick up the wood for the sign tonight and have it done by Sunday.
   I was asked what to do about "Vendors." I said that all material for sale should be considered pre 1840, similar to the Primitive Rendezvous sponsored by the NMLRA. I think for this year and in the future we would want to do this to conform to our Primitive Skills aspect.
   I think we have talked PatB into making a self bow to be given away to a youngster. I will supply the  quiver, arrows, guard and tab. Some young person will be very lucky winning this raffle.

Dick your benevolent dictator   >:D

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2008, 02:35:59 pm »
I met with Dick today and gave the site a look over.  Wow!  What an ideal site for this event.  There is p-l-e-n-t-y of space for parking, demonstrations, knapping, etc..  It really turned up the burner under me.

I've been contacting some knappers I know and several other on-line sites to spread the word.  I also stopped in at some local tackle shops and dropped off some flyers.  I'm doing a knapping demonstration next month in Pittsboro for some cub scouts, so I will cover that area while I'm there.

This is going to be a good time, I'm really looking forward to it.

Jim
"Hardawaypoints"

DBernier

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2008, 11:23:40 pm »
Thanks for the input Jim. Met with Dennis, the land owner tonight and visited a new landowner who bought the property adjacent to McCray road. He is willing to fill in the ditch at the road side for us next week to provide an exit route for the public to leave the event. The in access road is narrow and would pose a problem with twoway traffic. We now have the use of a "bushhog" for clearing the tall grass. I will start mowing this next week. Things are progressing at a good rate now.
   I will reiterate that you can come anytime during the week and camp there. Just call or Email me first. There is also an area for tin teepee's (campers) but no hookups. The groomed area is 3500 feet long by 90 feet wide. If mother nature is good to us it should be a fine weekend.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:34:30 pm by DBernier »