Linked Events

• N.C. Primitive Skills Rendez: October 03, 2008 - October 05, 2008

Author Topic: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendeszous.  (Read 97758 times)

DBernier

Re: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendeszous.
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2008, 07:59:44 pm »
Jim and I cut some seasoned white oak Saturday and delivered two truck loads to the site. Jim and I split some and stacked it. If you intend to burn this wood I would bring a small ax etc to further split the quarters we have already done. I have a maul for use also. I will deliver some more wood this week and continue to split it. Man is it hot out there.
  At $4.66 a gallon here it will be a while before I cut the field again. I will probably do it on the 30th of Sept or the 1st of Oct. It should be OK . For anyone who wishes to come and camp early and get a spot, I will be there from Sept. 30th on. Just let me know you are comming before hand so I can expect you. You can call my home 1 336 562 3700 and leave a message. The signs will not be out in position until the morning of October 2ed.
  Eddie I am hoping to make it down between the 21 of Sept and be back here by the 28th. I am trying to close on a house in the north Tampa area and to coordinate this thing. If you have any Coral you could share with the guys I can bring it back with me in the truck to save you space.   ;D  ;D  ::)    You do not even have to bring a tent with you as I have two of them. All you need is your mattress and sleeping bags. Could be cool at night. Just let me know. I will have the tents there anyway. BTW, it takes me 9 hours to get from "Deltona" to here. Well that is all for now. Only 18 days left.

Dick your benevolent dictator   >:D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:59:06 am by DBernier »

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2008, 11:52:28 pm »
Two weeks from today!  I'm working on the signs again tomorrow, they should be done by Sunday.  I am heading out to the Site to teach a little knapping on Sunday morning, then split more wood.  Dick said he cut & delivered some more wood there this week.  He also said there has been a pit dug to bury the debitage we create.  They worked on the road and filled in the ditch so there is now an "IN" and an "OUT" route so all the traffic doesn't have to share one dirt road.

We're heading to the home stretch.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

DBernier

« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2008, 07:40:45 am »
Well it is Sunday morning and it was 54 degrees at 5 am. I would bring some warm sleeping "stuff" as it is getting quite chilly in the late evening and early morning. Great sleeping weather.
  We will cut and will split more wood today and "maybe" mow the promenade again. I used the back hoe and I dug a pit to bury the debre from flint knapping. Its funny but maybe 10,000 years from now we will confound archaeologists with this site and dig.   ???  Maybe we should put in a time capsule with all of our names.   ;D 
   I may be in Florida from the 23ed this week to the 28th. Need to finish some business. Remember if you have a folding table and a canopy you can easily bring, bring it. If you have any table covers do the same. We would need to cover any tables with "stuff" on them over night to keep the dew off, and there is a lot of dew at this time of the year.
  Well as Jim said, 12 days to go.  People sure excited about this as I am getting email Daly. Still looking for a blacksmith to honor us with his presence.

Dick your benevolent dictator   >:D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:51:50 pm by DBernier »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2008, 07:59:49 pm »
  Dick, I'm out of coral and most other rock. I've been gone too much to get any.And it looks like we might be playing tag again. I'm trying to work it out so I can make it to So. Carolina next weekend. Are you going to live in that house in Lutz?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

DBernier

« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2008, 06:00:41 am »
Hi Eddie. No we are not going to "live" there. My mother and youngest son will stay there. Too bad about the "coral".   :'(  I will be spending some "time" down there. Maybe we can go hunt some up. Well the plan is I will be in Deltona next weekend and be home by no later than Sunday night. Need a days rest before setting up the tents, canopy's and my camper etc. Looks like a boat load of people are going to come "on over". Hope so. Jim and I have worked hard getting the area ready.
   Well South Carolina is only one state away. Hope you can make it over to the event. We spent half a day yesterday chain sawing, splitting wood, mowing and cutting small tree stumps to ground level. Site should be in ex. ++++ condition. Later.

Dick, your benevolent dictator   >:D

Offline longfletch

« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2008, 04:38:47 pm »
im making my list and checking it twice, and directions are on the top of the list, didnt you have a map posted somewhere? or was i just dreaming.
i gotta get me a shaving horse built this week, at home i have a vice mounted on a RR tie and i cant dig that up ;D
i should be there shortly after noon friday.
bryan
i like poetry, long walks and the beach and poking dead things with a stick

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2008, 09:37:37 am »
Longfletch,

Send an email to ncknap-in@nc.rr.com and I will send you the map and flyer.  We're a week out.  I hope we get good weather, but so far it looks like it. Come see us.

Jim

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2008, 11:07:46 pm »
They are calling for clear conditions with lows at night in the mid-50's and highs in the mid-70's for next weekend.  :)
**Lookin' Good**

So, weather is no excuse for not joining us...

Free camping, no vendor fees, gas is cheaper around Mebane than anyplace else in this part of the State.
What are you waiting for?

DBernier

« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2008, 07:36:17 am »
I'm back!!!!!!!! I will be at the event site from Tuesday morning, Sept 30th till the following Monday. You can reach me at my cell # 1 336 263 8880 if you have any questions.

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2008, 10:20:14 am »
Dick, The bows will go in the mail today and are addressed to your home. Should be there Wednesday or Thursday.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2008, 03:14:12 pm »
Thanks Pat, and Longfletch, there will be a bow horse there of mine to share.

Dick

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2008, 10:23:01 pm »
I just got back home from dropping some stuff off at the site.  Dick is there with his camper set up, getting things ready.  I have to work tomorrow, but will be out there on Thursday.  There were a few mechanical issues with the gator, mower, and tractor today, Dick is going to try to work around them best he can.

Jim

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2008, 10:38:22 pm »
OK!  Whoever went, we want pics and stories!!! ;)  Come on. We are waiting! >:(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2008, 10:59:35 pm »
A word of thanks to all who participated, just came to hang out, or stopped by to learn. We enjoyed chamber of commerce weather for sure.  It was great to put a face with folks I only knew by their screen name.  Also a huge thanks to Dennis for letting us hold the event at his place...we look forward to doing it again next year. Thanks also to Dick for organizing this event.

I took a limited number of pictures because I was so dang busy.  I'll have to get to them later as I have mucho sleep to catch up on now. 

Jim

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2008, 11:09:15 pm »
It was a blast, and if you have ever set beside Hillbilly while he is smacking rocks, you know what I mean.  That's OK though.  I was beside him smacking my gravel back at him.  He did a great job reducing a boulder of quartzite to nice looking point.  Montana was the all around showman and demo man.  It did not take long and he was showing people how to shoot the bow, throw a hawk, use a sling and occasionally smack some rock.  He ran his nine year old butt off from 7 in the morning til about midninght every day.  I am waiting for my pics to get uploaded into photobucket.  It was great to get out and see people that you only have talked to online.  That was my first Knap-in, but it won't be the last.  I will try to get some of my pics up later tonight.