Author Topic: ben pearson recurve bow  (Read 14359 times)

Offline maddog314

ben pearson recurve bow
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:19:59 pm »
Can anybody tell me anything about Ben Pearson recurve bows? I have a buddy who is looking to buy one for $25 and was wondering about them. I believe it is a 45# bow. Is there anything I should look for to make sure it is safe to shoot?
Thanks
Micah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ben pearson recurve bow
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:48:14 pm »
For $25 you can hardly go wrong. Check the limbs for twists both braced and unbraced. Also look closely for splinters along the edges and cracks in the glass. Some of the older bows will have stress cracks but all of them are not necessarily bad.
  Can you post pics of the bow here?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »
Look for cracks in the tips.Limbs for straitness and delaminating.Plan on making a new string you can't trust the one that's on.
$25 is pretty good price if it's in decent shape.What model is it?We are like women hearing about babies.We need measurements model # serial # so you can date them pics if you can.Hope it works out for your freind they were a good bow.Happy shooting
thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:40:46 pm »
Pretty much what everybody else said. If the limbs are crooked or the tips are delaminating buy it anyway and sell or trade it to me ;D. Both problems can be fixed. ;) Stress cracks won't hurt anyting and most of those 50 year old bows have them. They can be made to disappear also. The one bad pig in a poke problem you might run into is if it was left in a hot car or place during it's history. But it hasn't blown up yet in 50 years, so I'd take a chance for $25. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Oh, another tip, if the limbs do have a twist, string it to find out. Or the tips don't line up tell the guy it's a wall hanger and get it cheaper, Then, I'll tell you how to straighten them. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »
Is it a true recurve or one of those plastic superjet bows?  I had a 45 lb ben pearson superjet that wasn't worth $25. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 07:27:00 pm »
Good question. Except I once saw an all transluscent glass Pearson, 50# and it was a Static Recurve. I sure wish I had bought it now. It would have been a perfect bow to throw in the bottom of a canoe or kayak and not worry about beating up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:29:08 pm »
Those superjets were almost indestructible.  I made a new string for mine and gave it to my nephews to play with.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:06 am »
ive got a 45# and a 50# pen pearson , both are great bows . buy it !