Author Topic: bamboo takedown, limb attaching idea?  (Read 17888 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
bamboo takedown, limb attaching idea?
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:23:41 pm »
Hi everyone, I havent posted a bow for a while , so thought I'd show some pics of my latest. Its a takedown bow, that it'nt quite  finnished , because I'm just deciding how best to attatch the limbs.

Its bamboo back and belly, with a hard maple core, the belly boo is toasted from the inside. and the handle is ash. It is 52" and pulls 50# at 27"

Reason I posted is because while testing the bow I lashed the limbs to the core and they where suprisingly  solid.... so was wondering whether to just lash on the limbs with nice cord instead of bolting them, as I had planned.  Does any one have any ideas on this?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: bamboo takedown, limb attaching idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:43:55 pm »
Here's a photo of the bow during testing at full draw with the limbs tied on....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:44 pm »
I don't have an expertise answer,but I do have a humble opinion and that is looking like a sweeeet set up there. I love the profile.

Another opinion is I think some type of bolts (primtive looking)wood look better aesthically than the bulky looking lashing that is covering some of the beauty of your limb base and riser. 

Anyways just my half cent and vote.

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:45 pm »
That thing looks SWEET!! I agree with Blackhawk on the bolts...maybe some antler knobs would dress it up nice.  ;D Either way GREAT BOW!!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »
Looking good.......
I like the way James attached the limbs on this bow. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,10729.0.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:54:52 pm »
No ideas but a great lookin' bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:37:14 pm »
That bow does look very nice.  You can check out this takedown I made last year http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22055.0.html for ideas
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:41:12 pm »
I kinda like the idea of the lashing.  If you have nice looking cordage that isn't too bulky it could really stand out.  And besides, it's simple!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:22:52 am »
Nice , very nice. The lashing appeals to me but at least check out the article Marc St Louis refers to. I will give that a shot someday soon.

Really like that bow of yours.

Lane

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 01:20:31 am »
The only thing that would bother me about cordage would be stretching and the limbs getting out of alignment
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 05:55:50 am »
very nice bow dragonman,,  tiller looks really good.. i have a used cord wrap before,, it gave me a little trouble though,,  i used a fast tapered wedge between the limb and riser,as i drove the wedge in  it took the play and squeak out of the limbs when drawn,, p.s its good to see  others trying the bamboo back and belly bows...........james

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:12 am »
Thanks guys for the input. The lashing on the full draw pic is really rough and before the handle was shaped properly> This just gave me the idea, but I would make the cordage look much neater.
However, on looking at those other takedowns of  Marc and Robustus, (thanks Justin and Marc for the links), I noticed they only used 1 bolt for each limb... I was thinking I needed 2 bolts per limb and was concerned to drill the limbs near too near the fade out incase the bamboo back would be weakned and lift splinters at that point. The back bolt doent concen me  like that.
Thanks Robustus for the wedge idea,  I may try that...Does the single bolt hold the limb solid?? I guess it must do else you wouldn't have done it that way? You havent used a peg on the limb belly or something, to hold it in aligment and stop lateral movement of the limbs, maybe?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:26:02 am »
  SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 10:59:41 am »
yes , i used a 3/16 pin as an alinment in the riser above the bolt hole ;)

Far East Archer

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 11:37:20 am »
It is very pleasant shape to this bow, I like very much. Your tiller looking quite good as well, I usually worry when hear about this type bow that there will be too much bending at limb and riser meet point, though you have made smooth bend it seems, very nice. I also think you would be happier with bolt, maybe not very primitive but design is already not so primitive. I think it will be easier to take down this way as well, and can make look better as others have done with a wood or antler cap on bolt piece.

May I ask to you and other here that make such bow. It needs much thickness at fade to get heavy weight without hinge at fade? Or is it angle of riser that changes way tip leverage is applied to fade of limb? Im thinking, closer to 0 degree platform, the more tip leverage is applied to this area, and thicker material is needed. as the angle increases the less stress in this area and thinner material can be used? I never build such bow, just thinking now.