Author Topic: Ooops, Rut Roe!  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Keenan

Ooops, Rut Roe!
« on: June 12, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »
 Had the trade bow looking real good and close to final tiller. It had a horizontal crack that was from drying that concerned me and sure enough that is what cuased the problem.  Good thing I have another fairly close as well.  Sorry ******** that would have been a nice character bow, but then again the other stave has just as much character ;D Better get back to scraping ::)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Ooops, Rut Roe!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:52:01 pm »
Dang bud!  Seems to be the theme for this years Trade Bows...or maybe it's just bow building in general and folks are a bit antsy about blow outs being this close to the 4th of July.  No pressure though  ;D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:43:20 pm »
I'm sure Lee and I both feel your pain Keenan.  Maybe you need some of that fairy dust that APH was offering up.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »
sorry that that happened Keenan.you are a great bowyer,i am sure you will overcome this.good luck,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:49:34 pm »
 I should have stopped on that one a while back. I saw the crack going through it and kept thinking it would be scraped out in the tillering but it went much deeper and after the break it's obvious that it was straight through the bow from one side almost to the other.  Its that stave I had down at the Classic that everyone took a few scrapes on

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:55:26 pm »
Ahhh, that must be it Keenan, unworthy hands had touched it prior to your work  >:D  LOL...

Sucks to bust any bow no matter the purpose of the bow.   I "was" working on a piece of Lilac that went....well lets just say it didn't pan out.  Was too narrow of a sapling to start with and by the time I got it tillered and balanced there wasn't much to work with so I added heat in hopes of tempering and the cast was...well, I can probably throw an arrow further  ::)

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »
sorry to see that Keenan, I know you're a veteran though and expect this once in awhile.  just shows the rest of us mortals that it even happens to the best. :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:02 am »
I was making a "thank you" bow for a very special veteran, just about done when I head an awful sound when I strung it up,"TINK". Took me a couple days to find the crack but it was there, running off a pin on the edge at mid limb.

Been chasing grains on staves and billets the last two days so I can start a replacement bow. I am finding flaws in everything I have pulled out of the wood pile so far. Nothing serious, stuff I could work around, but not the kind of thing I would have in a bow as important as the one I am making. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »
To bad Keenan, :) But it happens. That looks like it would have been a beauty,Better now then after it arrived at it's new home. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 12:53:24 pm »
Good reason to build yet another bow! Who doesnt love that?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »
Good reason to build yet another bow! Who doesnt love that?
exactly, Already well underway  ;D