Author Topic: Bamboo backed IPE ( pictures )  (Read 22759 times)

Offline jignfrog

Bamboo backed IPE ( pictures )
« on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:28 pm »
I named this bow  "Chaser" after my faithful trusty dog that passed away. You know I can't believe how much I miss him. So I decided to name the bow I was working on at the time after him. I know that sounds corny but he was part of the family. Anyway here is the specs it is 64 inchs NTN it pulls 53# @ 24". I glued 4 inchs of reflex in it on the form it holds 1 3/4 after 500-600 shots. Its 1 3/16 near handle, 7/8 wide at mid limb and 7/16 wide at the tips.Tip overlays are osage. I got a little creative with the handle and added ebony arrow heads. I used 2500 lb epoxy ( I work at a glue factory ) and get it free. I really like how it worked. I used clothing dye for the black and brown leather dye for the brown. This may sound strange but a month before Chaser passed away I gave him his yearly butch cut and decided to save some of his hair. So I used it as the string silencers. Some may laugh but it works and I think he probably appreciates it from dog heaven. Enjoy the pictures. I know one thing the pictures make me wan't to go on a diet.  :)

Ron

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bruner Missouri

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo backed IPE ( pictures )
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:05:51 am »
Anyone who would think that is strange has never had a truly great dog.  The ebony arrow heads are cool.  Good tribute to a friend, I say. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:05:59 am »
wow thats a really nice bow.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:17:20 am »
Sorry you lost your buddy. Our dogs have always been family members and were sadly missed when they left us.
   Your bow looks good The arrowheads are cool. After 500-600 shots, I'd say you had a keeper.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jbell

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:35:57 am »
Nice bow Ron.  Sorry to hear about your buddy, sure will miss my Sandy when she is gone. :'(

Btw on a lighter note, I hear ya about the diet, I hate lookin at pictures of my self, but hey think of it this way, if you or me get stranded on a deserted island we got plenty of fuel to spare. ;D Maybe enough time to fix us up a bow and do some fishin ::)
Justin Blunt

Offline jpitts

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 01:00:41 am »
Sorry about Chaser. Still miss my ol buddy too.
Your bow looks great. I love the arrowheads and the way the stained Boo goes with the Ipe.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

brokennock

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 02:13:41 am »
AAaawwwww, there's a tear in my beer. That's beautiful man, the story and the bow. I miss my last dog, but she hated me shootin my bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 06:20:39 am »
Beautiful bow jignfrog and nice story.a man don't have many really special dogs in his life and it is tough when the go,been there. :( :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 07:23:14 am »
Good lookin bow jign, great story behind it too.
I had an English setter that I rescued from the pound, he couldn't hunt for beans,
was scared of the gun but he went every where with me.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 08:17:41 am »
I love BBIs and plan to build one during the Winter or Spring. I also love dogs - you mean there are still folks who think dogs are not family members. The only reason we can't claim them as dependants is it'd be to hard to controll the "cheaters", I'm convinced  :). I am going to capture your FD for my Traditional Bows Drawn Pages (Page 13). Probably post it some time today.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/tbd13.htm

(Posted there now)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:19:26 pm by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 08:18:45 am »
Very nice bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline jignfrog

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 12:18:14 pm »
Thanks guys.

I am glad to hear I am not alone. You all are great friends.
Bruner Missouri

Rich Saffold

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 01:07:22 pm »
Your bow looks great Jignfrog!, and naming the bow after your dog is the ultimate compliment you can give him. Very cool thread!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 02:04:06 pm »
Whew - you've really scored on this one.  Got you bookmarked for June Backed Bow of the Month, too.  Thanks for the contribution.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline tarsus

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 02:42:14 pm »
I am sorry to hear of your loss Jignfrog.  We had to put a member of our family down two weeks ago, we feel your pain.  That is a super tribute to your partner, and an awesome looking bow.  I'm sure Chasers tails a waggin knowing that he was the proud owner of a human as talented as yourself ;)  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky