Author Topic: Gnarly Dogwood (and now some Black Locust)  (Read 14320 times)

Offline Holten101

Re: Gnarly Dogwood (and now some Black Locust)
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 04:37:04 pm »
Definatly not elm...the lack of distinct heartwood also point in other directions than elm. The leafs looks like Dogwood...but the Dogwood I have access to dont cluster like that. My bet is still on Dogwood tho...even if most of you guys disagree with me;-).

Cheers

blackhawk

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 05:27:07 pm »
I know its not cornus florida aka flowering dogwood. If it is a dogwood it looks close to corpus alternifolia aka alternate-leaf dogwood. But the leaves you show are clustered and makes it a little confusing. But its bark is somewhat furrowed and it grows up to 8" diameter. If it is that then its a monster for that species. It fruits in early fall and there colors are deep blue to almost black and around 1/4" in dia. Flowering dogwoods fruit turn red. So if you don't know and can't figure out what it is then you can go back and see its fruit to id it.

Offline johnston

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 07:12:31 pm »
Lee I want a piece of that BL. In exchange I'll send you some blackgum ;D.

Good haul, man,really good.

Lane

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 07:23:31 pm »
Blackgum.  That is what I am thinking the mystery wood is now.

Seal the back (bark side) and the ends of that Black locust.
Seal the ends all the way around and about 4" up.
Keep it out of the sun and wind. 
Don't put it some place that gets hotter than outside temperature.  At least not for 6 months or so.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:15 pm »
Lee I want a piece of that BL. In exchange I'll send you some blackgum ;D.

Good haul, man,really good.

Lane

Lane, sorry...not sure I can find a good use for Blackgum  ::)

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:35 pm »
Blackgum.  That is what I am thinking the mystery wood is now.

Seal the back (bark side) and the ends of that Black locust.
Seal the ends all the way around and about 4" up.
Keep it out of the sun and wind. 
Don't put it some place that gets hotter than outside temperature.  At least not for 6 months or so.

David

Thanks David, I looked up Blackgum and about 30 other similar leafed trees but none seem to match.  I know that folks don't think the bark matches Dogwood and even the cluster of leaves doesn't look like a perfect match I personally am still 95% in the Dogwood camp. 

I sealed the B. Locust just like you mentioned, even up the ends 3-4" and they are in my basement where I promise (Scout's Honor) not to touch them until Christmas.  I have learned the hard way about trying to use wood that is still too green.  Wasted a nice Lilac stave by rushing it...  ::)

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 09:14:56 am »
Lee, could U make a closer pic from the growth rings?

That leave trick me out  ;D  ::)

Offline okie64

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 10:08:22 am »
Lee, dogwood leaves are simple, opposite leaves and the pic you got there is a palmately coumpound leaf. I dont think its dogwood, but it aint elm either, with all that interlocking grain it would have to make a decent bow though. Like others have said, keep a close eye on that locust sapwood, it can and will split all over the place if not taken care of.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:13 pm »
Lee, could U make a closer pic from the growth rings?

That leave trick me out  ;D  ::)

Zoltan, here is a pic of the rings, not a great one...a bit blurry and the shellac hides a lot of the contrast.  I would have taken more but the camera puked on me again after 2 pics  >:(

Okie64, I know...the compound leaves have me stumped.  Locust is REALLY sealed and in the basement, can't wait to try some out.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:22:51 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 04:18:48 pm »
Good shot  >:D  The wood is behind the box?  ;D

Lochust needs the same drying time and protection as osage. So U have a year or more to figure out what to make from those.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 04:25:06 pm »
Good shot  >:D  The wood is behind the box?  ;D

Lochust needs the same drying time and protection as osage. So U have a year or more to figure out what to make from those.

Zoltan, sorry about the incorrect pic (wasn't a good shot but it was a "cold" shot...still learning a new boo back boo AND learning how to shoot Traditional) anyway...the pic is now corrected.

I'll leave this Locust be and won't touch it.  I should probably go back and get more...these drying times are killing me and I don't like not having cured wood on hand.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 04:46:23 pm »
You promise not too touch it till next year .... :D

If you don't have dry wood,then keep cutting it till you do have dry wood  ;D

And I still can't say 100 % for sure what type of wood that is. It does look close to black tupelo aka blackgum,sourgum too tho. But those clustered leaves?

Offline JonW

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 05:24:58 pm »
Those leaves look like a dead ringer for Hickory to me.

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 07:06:00 pm »
Thats the same wood we talking about?

I remember fat rings...

Anyway this looking an unknown wood to me. Next time better to say nothing  :-X  ::)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 08:31:16 pm »
Dogwood is very very reare with this dia and have tight rings. The fast growing cornus sangifolia has max 2-3mm or less (colored like chiken meat) and the harder C mas have tight rings like yew or buxus and a log like this is over 150 years old for shure. Newer saw any cornus with this kind of fat rings but could be another type I haven't know.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/4141/PreviewComp/SuperStock_4141-50150.jpg

That picture you have posted looks like elm we have here Fusizoli, don't know if it's the same where you are or not?
I recognized the leaves anywhere, sawtooth edge and feels sticky like sand paper.

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32