Author Topic: Trade Bow - Just not meant to be!!  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Trade Bow - Just not meant to be!!
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:51:26 pm »
I'm starting to wonder if I should have joined in on the bow swap, it seems everything I attempt is destined for failure.  I've never had an issue with completing a bow until now :P My first one came out under weight, second one cracked in the handle, and now this happened:

Of course they always have to go after putting 2 days of work into them too. (But I'm not bitter! :) )  As far as I can tell, the tiller was pretty good, and the bow was over-built.  It appears that there was a small pin knot where the back blew out.  Here's the last picture I have before she blew, it was pulling 50 lbs at 26".  I tillered it out to 28", put some fancy zebra wood tips on it, and fired about 2 dozen arrows through it before it went.  Again, I'm glad it happened to me and not the recipient!

I'm starting to run pretty short on wood, and time.  A while back I got some osage in a trade and was planning on using it for a couple bows for myself, but I think I may have to give one up.  At least I know these should hold up - they're also backed with hickory.

I'm all for learning experiences, I just wish it wasn't happening now :)  Wish me luck on my next attempt!  I think I need some!

Offline Almostpighunter

Re: Trade Bow - Just not meant to be!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:06:00 am »
...And I lay my hands upon the pile of fairy love dust and sprinkle it thusly upon the wind so that it might be carried to you and cover your projects with positive energy and good result. So shall your next attempt not only persevere,it shall bestow unto both bowyer and recipient the blessing of the spirit of the ancients and guide you straight and true into the future.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go hug a tree.  :)

- Guru APH

(Keep pluggin' brother! It will be that much more rewarding in the end!)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:10:05 am »
Make a bow. Follow what the wood wants to do. If it is low weight it still is a shootable bow. Slow down, get back to basics. A bow is a bow. Work with what you have and make the best of it.
Random words of encouragement. Good luck and keep at it. Wood is a renewable resource.  ;D
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:04 am »
Cameroo, sorry brother!  Been there too many times as of late but as the others mentioned...slow down and go back to basics.  Those Osage/Hick look like the right medicine for what ails you!

Allmostpighunter....that was too damn funny!  Sprinkle some of that spare dust my way if you have an extra pinch  ;)

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:32:05 am »
...And I lay my hands upon the pile of fairy love dust and sprinkle it thusly upon the wind so that it might be carried to you and cover your projects with positive energy and good result. So shall your next attempt not only persevere,it shall bestow unto both bowyer and recipient the blessing of the spirit of the ancients and guide you straight and true into the future.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go hug a tree.  :)

Now that is funy. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Sorry about the bow breaking i have had those months.  Next one will be perfect u will see. >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:13:17 am »
Hang in there Cameroo. I've had a few failures like that with kiln dried maple, even though the grain was flawless.
Thing is it happens, and sometimes it can be hidden flaws in the wood that you just can't see.
Just know you are not alone, it happens to all of us, and it always stinks.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 02:00:36 am »
...And I lay my hands upon the pile of fairy love dust and sprinkle it thusly upon the wind so that it might be carried to you and cover your projects with positive energy and good result

Thanks man, I think that might just be what I was missin'.  Fairy dust, combined with osage dust... should be the ticket!

Follow what the wood wants to do.

I just wish she would tell me what she wants to do before I invest 2 days into her.  Kinda like wine-and-dining a lady and then she tells you "Let's just be friends" (not that that's ever happened to me ;) )

And to the rest of you, thanks for the encouragement.  I feel like I can't fail now!  This is the one!

BTW, this is my first experience with osage, and I'm already lovin it.  Smells so good when the shavings fly!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:59:16 am »
Just curious might the wood have been to dry???
tell u what im not in the trade,so bestow the bad onto me and the next shall be...well just plain AWESOME  >:D O:) >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 04:03:12 am »
possibly some grain issues with that board?

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:56:08 am »
Looks like a grain run off break to me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 01:01:21 pm »
Get back on your pony and ride.   ;)  Bkoken bows happen. If we learn from them they are not wasted. Have you studied why each bow broke? If so are you using those learned lesson on the next bow?
  Those hickory backed osage staves will make very nice hunting weight bows. Don't try to make something special! Make the best bow you can with what you have to work with. Take your time and make every minute you work on it a thoughtful one.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »
"Kinda like wine-and-dining a lady and then she tells you "Let's just be friends" (not that that's ever happened to me  )

Never been told the "Let's just be friends" or never wined-and -dined?
 >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 05:04:47 pm »
"Kinda like wine-and-dining a lady and then she tells you "Let's just be friends" (not that that's ever happened to me  )

Spent most of your time chasing "cheese burger & motel 6" type of women?   >:D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »

Spent most of your time chasing "cheese burger & motel 6" type of women?   >:D

You guys are too much!

I never had to chase em Lee  ::)  I learned from hunting to let the game come to me  ;D

But seriously, if I was to attempt to, both the food and the wine would likely come in a box :)

Offline wildman

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 01:03:42 am »
If ya ain't breakin em you ain't make em  (fairy dust never hurts) ;D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-