Author Topic: Hunnic Bow ( fulldraw page 3 )  (Read 31199 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Hunnic Bow ( fulldraw page 3 )
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 03:31:07 pm »
"Other than the twist(I have no advice there) and the lower draw weight,id say it looks pretty cool from the side profile and full draw."

Thank you. I basically copied a hunnis design though, minus the horn belly.

"what's up with that string by the way."

lol, it's just some cord I was using. I couldn't see going and making a proper string for any reason.

"maybe different wood choice"

I'm happy with red oak, works fine. In fact I'm sure a very poor quality wood would even work in this case. I didn't really reflex it too much before sinewing or anything and I would think that the limbs are way too thin and bend way to little to cause compression problems.

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ohma2

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »
i realy like that,id like to try one of them one day,i think you did a great job with it.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »
I think you did a pretty good job, and probably learned a whole load of stuff.  To make these asian style bows is harder than people first think. Its one thing to copy the profiles but another to get a good performance out of them, I tried a few and It takes a lot of experience, then the potential is for very good bows.. I haven't achieved that my self yet..... one day....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2011, 05:57:41 pm »
really good first attempt,,   im sure you learned quite a bit from this bow,,, i suggest you get  adam karpowiccz book also, it will give you more info of what  methods  you can use to build this type bow,, although the book does not cover this type bow ,it can give you more insight  on building horn composites..  save all your sinew for real horn composite bows,, i think it is such a waste to use it  towards bows that are not true horn bows,,    go to an art supply and get you some pearl glue or make your glue from sinew scraps,,  adams book covers a ll the info you will need ,as far as  materials. and how to make them ....  you already have the plans for that bow,  steer horns will work for that stlye bow, ive built four of these bows,,,  i will be posting one  just like it in a few days,maybe you can get some ideas from the pics. again- i think you did a fine job with what you had to work with,  let me know if you need help  getting  horns , i know a few guys that have steer horns.......... jp :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 06:20:30 pm »
"adam karpowiccz book also, it will give you more info of what  methods  you can use to build this type bow,, although the book does not cover this type bow ,it can give you more insight  on building horn composites..  save all your sinew for real horn composite bows,,"

Shoot, I'm happy playing with wood right now, I totally do not have time to go boiling and rasping horn right now,  ;D. When I can get the freaking siyahs to stop twisting consistently I might think about it. My goal really is to make a bow in a hunnic style out of sinew backed wood without a horn belly successfully and in way that can be successfully repeated. Then, after I got that done, I will have some fun...  >:D >:D >:D  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

"really good first attempt,,   im sure you learned quite a bit from this bow,"

What I have found was:

1. My dimensions were bigger than I thought they were at first, were as I was afraid of them being to small. ALso, I have acquired some good dimensions to go off of.

2. I have made the educated guess that the tips must not be wide but taper to a point like a 1/2" or else there is more of a chance to twist. (I am just thinking this personally and don't know for sure, but I'm going to go by it from now on)

3. I don't like sinewing with titebond 3. It works fine, but drys slow, and I personally don't like the look of it compared to sinew or hide glue. ;D

4. I learned that my method of bandaging on siyahs on a wide limb tip does not work with the specific way I make and attach siyahs.

So yes your right, although it was a failure pretty much, I still did learn so things. :)

"i will be posting one  just like it in a few days,maybe you can get some ideas from the pics"

CANNOT WAIT!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline RyanY

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:03 pm »
The twist scares me but it looks great from the side. Glad to see it come together for ya.  :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011, 10:41:06 pm »
Hey Bud,
     Dont want to highjack yer thread......wanted ya to know that sinew backed bow ya give me.....picked up a few pounds, shoots like a big dog....and is just a sweet as ever.
     Dont know about your Hunnic bows but some of the Chinese bows of the same type had pieces of wood or bone (like quarter-round that were glued into the corner where the Siyah stands up off the limb tip, then that was blended in and then wrapped. I believe that the Khartan bows from the Gobi (ATARN site) shows that in an x-ray.
rich

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 11:09:28 pm »
"Hey Bud,
     Dont want to highjack yer thread......wanted ya to know that sinew backed bow ya give me.....picked up a few pounds, shoots like a big dog....and is just a sweet as ever.
"

Sweet. Glad to here it doesn't have a dozen things wrong with it like most of the other bows I make,  ;D ;D ;D

"Dont know about your Hunnic bows but some of the Chinese bows of the same type had pieces of wood or bone (like quarter-round that were glued into the corner where the Siyah stands up off the limb tip, then that was blended in and then wrapped. I believe that the Khartan bows from the Gobi (ATARN site) shows that in an x-ray.
rich"

Maybe that was to keep it from twisting?  ??? I don't know whats the difference between those hunnic bows and those chinese bows you showed me a while back actually. For that matter I really don't know the difference between a hunnic and a hungarian or hun bow! lol Those chinese bows you showed me were what I was copying.  I'm gonna go check it out rich, thank ya for the tip,  ;D

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 01:33:25 am »
I like that bow profile a lot  ;D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 02:37:17 am »
Great work! i love your approach to bowmaking. cant wait to see your next go at it :) I am going to try one of those someday, so ill need to see how you deal with the limb twist issues ;)

I have got a slightly off topic question:  Would moose antler work in place of a horn belly?? ive got a bunch of it layin around.
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 03:43:56 am »
   I surely would'nt get in a hurry sence your this far along. I'd wait at least a week between layers and 2 weeks after the last layer is on. Like I said no reason to have it fail because of something you did wrong.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline avcase

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 03:49:01 am »
That twist looks like a minor issue to me.  Some very gentle application of heat and counter twist should take care of it.  Some warmth from a hair dryer or heat lamp is plenty.  I get some twist at first with every narrow static tipped recurve I build no matter how careful I am and it was a relief to learn how easy it was to fix.
-Alan

Offline PatM

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 09:55:46 am »
I think you're overcomplicating the construction and worrying too much about the stress on the wood with this design. If you would just back off the angle of the static tips(ther original Hun bows show a shallower angle) and use a better belly wood you can substantially narrow the design and come in at about 60 inches which also is pretty close to the original length.
 I'll hunt around for the picture of the Hun style bow I made about ten years ago. Still going strong and substantially narrower than yours.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2011, 10:36:46 am »
"That twist looks like a minor issue to me.  Some very gentle application of heat and counter twist should take care of it.  Some warmth from a hair dryer or heat lamp is plenty.  I get some twist at first with every narrow static tipped recurve I build no matter how careful I am and it was a relief to learn how easy it was to fix."

Thats good to know. Do you heat just the sinew or both sinew and wood? Or were you talking of just wood bows? And what do you use to heat your bows personally? I actually ended up breaking off one of the siyahs with this bow from bending it backwards (don't ask,  ;)), so I decided to see how far I could bend the bow without it breaking. It seems that it broke pretty easily sinew and all. I don't think my sinew is the best sinew, it's probably been baked or something which makes it weaker than normal sinew. It was only one layer though.

Offline PatM

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2011, 08:10:45 pm »
Don't discount the fact that you can just twist a warped limb by hand and train it to straighten out. Hold one end between your feet and twist with both hands. It goes without saying that  you want very sound joints on your siyah to take the torque. A v splice and a good binding takes care of that.