Author Topic: Bought a gun id never heard of, AND TOOK IT BACK! IT SLAM FIRED!  (Read 3484 times)

Offline recurve shooter

set out to pick up a keltec 9mm from a pawn shop in town but it was gone when i got there, so i drove over to the other one across town and started looking around. they had a smith (i dont know the model) 9mm which i handled and was thinking about getting, they there was this other thing stitting next to it. It was a Tanfoglio BTA 90 subcompact 9mm. where the smith was double action only with a realy long stiff triggerpull, this little guy could be fired single or double action like a 911. the smith's frame was i believe polimer, but in any case the bottom half of the thing was lighter than the top half and it just didnt feel well ballanced. the tanfoglio is all steel, no plastic or polimer anywhere, well ballanced in the hand with some weight to it, especialy with a full mag. the mag that came with it was designed for the full sized pistols so it sticks out of the bottom of mine a bit, but honestly i like it because it gives me a place to rest my pinkey, wich cant fit on the little handle, and it holds 17 rounds. all in all i REALY like this little gun. only problem is that its a little hard to find a whole lot of info on this particular model. oh also, its supposedly a cz clone. iv never handled a cz though, so i couldnt tell you just how closley they match.

here are som pics of the internet. mine is the exact same as these, but i have nice polished wood grips.

also if someone has had any experience with this thing or has any info on it at all, good or bad, id love to hear about it.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:06:14 pm by recurve shooter »
lets just shoot it

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Bought a gun id never heard of, and im pretty happy with it!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:30:13 pm »
Recurve I had a CZ 9mm police subcompact and loved it(traded it for a nikon d40x). The TZ is a clone of the CZ and I have never heard anything bad about them. The Italian co. that copied it got alot of publicity from the fact there was a ban on firearms from communist block countries making the CZ-75 near impossible to get.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:49:57 pm »
Recurve the ol'viking is on the money. Tanfoglio are copy experts best known for their single action revolvers.

Lane

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:58:00 pm »
cool. i hate that its a "copy" of anything, but i still like the little fella.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:03:27 pm »
Looks like a nice one, but I am partial to my KelTek PF9. It is my daily carry gun.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline recurve shooter

Re: Bought a gun id never heard of, AND TOOK IT BACK! IT SLAM FIRED!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:09:04 pm »
ok so i took the thing to my dad's place to let him shoot it. first shot was actually 3 rounds, so fast you coulnt tell exacly what happened. it did that 3 times by the time we emptied the 17 round mag. we shot several more mags though it and couldnt get it to do it again. but, it did it three times, and that was enough for me. i dont know why it did it, i dont know what was wrong with it, all i know is that i wasnt having it. i now have an S&W SW9VE. should do a little better with this one. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:44:33 pm »
Man, I wish my .380 would shoot like that.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:39:44 pm »
probably had some grime keeping the firing pin from retracting properly... Did you clean it really really well and retry it before you took it back?  I had an SKS that did that and it turns out the firing pin was caked with that preservant they put on them to keep them from rusting in storage. I cleaned it out and never had another problem. :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline fencepost

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »
The trigger disconnector spring may be weak or full of grime, happens on a lot of  cheap weapons. It is best to go ahead and buy a weapon with good history or reputation.. .If I need a weapon it needs to work.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:07:37 pm »
It is best to go ahead and buy a weapon with good history or reputation.. .If I need a weapon it needs to work.

couldnt have put it better myself. the smith isnt a very high quality gun either, at least this particular model isnt, but atleast it has a name and a decent reputation behind it.  ;D
lets just shoot it