Author Topic: Check out these curves!  (Read 4928 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Check out these curves!
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:11 pm »
Hey all this is my first attempt at a recurve. Its 62" ttt. I have to admit the stave was twisted and kinky when I started, plus there are a few solid knots that impede my bend. The tiller checks out fine gizmo wise, but looks funky? Please enlighten me recurve vet's. Its 40# @ 20" now. My goal is 50-53# at 28.5".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

Re: Check out these curves!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:19 pm »
hey pearl,i think it is looking pretty good.i just did my first the other day.i have a little twist to deal with,but so far so good.i also have a small drying check.i am going to sinew back it just for insurance.anyway good job,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:06:54 pm »
Very nice recurve, Tiller looks good to me. But I have a problem seeing bad spots til someone points them out ;D. If the gizmo checks out then it should be o.k.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:09:55 pm »
Looking good from here. The gizmo don't lie. I think what your seeing funky is maybe a wee slight twist. But that's where the gizmo shines and if I know there's a lil twist ill trust that more than" it looks a lil funky".   Continue on. And hurry it up,cus I wanna see that bad girl all purtied up.  :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:37:09 pm »
That left limb has a very funky knot area that is almost twice as thick as the rest of the limb, it had to be left that way. That could also be what is catching my eye as wrong? Blackhawk about 1/3 of my curve pulled out. I havent let it sit unbraced to see how much comes back. Not much dissapoints me anymore, if it bends even, shoots an arrow and doesnt hurt anybody............Im happy. So I lost some curve?  Whoopee.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:49 pm »
The reason the tiller looks a little funky to you is because it isn't bending in the middle ;D   I was beginning to think you were strictly a D-bow man.

Looks good to me.  I need to try recurving some osage someday.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:50:38 pm »
Your probably right Clint! I love my D bows dearly.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:01:43 pm »
If ya lost some curve then you might've thinned the curves too much. If its dried out you could clamp it back down on your form and use dry heat and lightly toast it. And id stay away from taking anymore material off the curves if your still tillering and removing material. But if it ain't too bad and it don't bother ya then just let it be and just make sure next time ya leave a lil more meat for the curves. I can't shoot recurves for crap but I love the way they draw smooooothly and hit hard upon release.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:23 pm »
To me it looks like its not exactly centered on your tillering tree but looks great to me.
john 3:16

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:33:02 pm »
Its not centered. Its a 1" wide piece of wood which represents my hand. I pull the string in the center where my 3 fingys would be. It best represents me drawing which makes it balance perfectly in my hand.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:13:05 pm »
very nice  8)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:54:39 pm »
Bad news. One of my knots on the side of the limb gave way and started a slight hinge. I stopped right there and wrapped it in artificial sinew. I will have to sinew back it, or rawhide if I plan on keeping her alive. That knot wont last. Its the left limb about 12" past the handle, you can see the color swirl.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 12:23:32 am »
Knots in the limb edge can be trouble.  I'm sorry to hear that.  Any chance of a close-up on the problem spot?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 01:02:41 am »
I think it looks very good. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:20 am »
Im no diagnosis expert. But I recently had something similar happen to a sinewed back bow while shooting it in(which was a lil frustrating cus it was all nicely tillered out). I had a spot where there was a knot and it had some "punky" wood in it,and it gave way a lil bit and slightly hinged. Not sure if you have the same issue here. But if you do then backing ain't gonna save it cus its the compression wood that has some bad wood in it. I had to remove the bad wood all the way thru to the neutral plane and glue in a patch.

Here's a great link to put a patch in a bow limb.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/patch.html