Author Topic: Straightening antler?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Straightening antler?
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:36:41 am »
Sailordad just asked about using antler for knife handles and it was mentioned that boiling the antler will soften it. I live in an area of usually not so big whitetails, because everyone shoots the first one they see (that's another story). The result is a lot of young deer taken with small racks and normally a lot or some curl in the antler. These antlers are difficult to use for knapping with the curl. I would like to make some Ishi sticks with antler tips and need or want straight antler tips of some length.

Has anyone boiled or heated antler with a heat gun or something that made the antler malleable enough to straighten it. It would be much easier to use straight than with the curl.

Lyman
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline IsaacW

Re: Straightening antler?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:18:50 pm »
I have done the opposite... boiled to curve antler.  I made an old school Sauk style grizzly claw necklace of antler "claws."  I soaked the antler for a couple weeks and then boiled to soften.  I bent them around a makeshift jug and clamped (actually tied) them into place.

From straight antler to... 

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold