Author Topic: about west coast bows  (Read 16668 times)

Offline juniper junkie

Re: about west coast bows
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:09:36 am »
john, I think the book you were looking at was by reginald Laubin, he is a great authority on the tipi. the bows he made did have stiff handles and were not authentic reproductions. look back in PA at Billy's articles from the smithsonian, all the west coast bows as well as the short plains bows, bend through the handle. he has some great photos of the profiles and dimensions as well.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:35:07 pm »
Rich, all those bows will bend slightly through the handle, even the Eskimo bows.  The only possible exceptions I've seen are the Sudbury bow and maybe a few horn bows that were spliced in the handle area.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 02:07:17 pm »
thanks dave that sents...because all the west coast bow that i have seen didnt have stiff handle...o.k. i guess i am not going crazy...

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 02:16:45 pm »
hey pat,while i have you..the pic that you posted of the modoc bows...are they sinew backed..the reason i ask is that they look pritty smooth on the back..i dont know if they have raw hide...some people say that after sinew backing you can apply glue and wood shavings to fill in gaps for a smoother back but i dont know if that was part of THERE way of doing backing or if its a modern way of just looking good...john

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 02:52:20 pm »
Rich,  where have U get this pics from? Is it a net database? Not the amnh for shure.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:08:15 pm by fusizoli »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 03:08:50 pm »
John, most of the Modoc bows I've seen up close have sinew backing.  The paint job might look clean from a distance but up close you can see the lines of the sinew.  One easy way to tell if it has a sinew back (from a distance) is if the bow tips are wrapped with sinew for a good ways down the tip.  Self bows don't have that wrapping.  It's hard to tell, though, in the photo that I posted.

I've read that some bow makers sanded the sinew smooth before painting but I don't think much was done to the back before painting... other than applying a coat of "clay" to the sinew surface.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:12:18 pm by jackcrafty »

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »
fusizoli,i think it is on the web but where i dont...thanks pat,i will keep that in mind..john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 02:01:18 pm »
John, I was giving some thought to your pondering about the side views from that book. It could be that some of what appear to be stiff handle are actually slight bending handles. The trade bow that I am doing for TG is a juniper and if you look from the side you would swear it is stiff handled but it dose bend. Yew is stronger and might be stiff on some of those but I would bet that the junipers are bend through the handle bows.

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 02:25:13 pm »
So U think is this a right tiller for a modoc style bow?

It has a very slight bend at the handle.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 02:26:23 pm »
Looks good :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 02:51:16 pm »
fusizoli,are you showing off again..LOL..just giving you crap...you have allways done sweet work and the tiller is great on that stick...keenan,i remeber that juniper and yes you right..thats one of the things i have trouble with is photos..i understand more when i see it person or in my hands..you said to gordon at the gathering that i really study bows thats why when i have one in my hands i take my time looking at what a person has done and ask a bunch of questions..john

Offline half eye

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 03:32:49 pm »
Hey fellas,
     wasn't tryin to high-hat.....sent a PM to Zoltan explaining that I dont know how to post a direct link here.....but I can attach it to an email (asked for his) but if one of you will give me his.....I'll send the direct link to the Peabody Museum serch collections page. You can look up anything they got bows, arrows, cased set, war clubvs, tommahawks etc etc.
      You guys are certainly right about how some bows look stiff gripped but are more like "semi=bending" cause ya can feel the bend coming into the grip....if not all the way through.
rich

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 03:38:25 pm »
John it was more than a question than a show off  ;) but thanks. This made from flowering ash 45ntn 50+# at 24

Thinking about to let the handle working more, may it could be a bit narower to going bend more, but ash like to takes more set as useall so I ve let it as it is. The handle have light set back and going straight at full draw.

I have to learn more from this bows so waiting for opinions :)

Here is a front wiew (the triangular pattern one)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
This is a great thread and very thought provoking! Some great looking bows as well. I for one would love to see the link on the museum.

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 03:45:09 pm »
Rich thanks, I have all museum database links may missed some bows (there is a lot) U ve posted here. Will take another look thanks again the info!

ps: Haven't got your PM anyway my mail is fusizoli @
 g mail dot com