Author Topic: Sinew backing not so perfect grained wood  (Read 2651 times)

TurtleCreek

Sinew backing not so perfect grained wood
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:09:30 am »
   A question for all of the sinew experts out there- I understand that when you have a piece of hickory where there are a few grain "run-outs", you can back it with a straight grained hickory backing strip and still make a durable bow.  But I would really like to try sinew and was wondering if several layers of sinew would make a not so perfect grained piece of hickory into a bow that would be just as durable.  I know that I should find wood with straight grain the entire length of the stave, but I have a pretty good supply of hickory where the grain isn't perfectly straight and I would like to use what I have now and also give sinew backing a try.  Any advice or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Offline wally

Re: Sinew backing not so perfect grained wood
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:19:15 am »
I've sinew backed a few bows and using it for 'grain runouts' or any imperfections would be a perfect way to protect and strengthen bow, in my opinion.
I am no expert in fact still learning.
It'll probably be a bit messy on your first bow, but if you prepare properly it'll be good fun and certainly give you great satisfaction. Go for it.
and hey! Let's be careful out there

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:02:17 am »
but would it be as effective in protecting the back as a hickory backing strip?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:35:52 am »
Probably not, Sinew helps a lot and in most cases will make one hold together but it ant the miracle cure all. I would probably go with the Hickory strip backing depending on how bad and how many run offs you have. :) I know some do it for other reasons but I sinew the best piece of wood because of the trouble it is to do and the material involved.  I wouldn't go to the trouble to try and save a piece of bad wood, I know others will disagree but that's just me.  :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:46 am »
I am with Pappy on this one. Sinew will do some amazing things, but I would also save it for a good piece of wood. Hickory and sinew is an excellent combo by the way.

Jon W.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:20:32 pm »
  The info really helps, thanks a bunch

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »
  The info really helps, thanks a bunch

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 07:09:36 pm »
Sinew will hold the wood together but as Pappy says, I would only use it on high quality wood.  It would be easier to use rawhide if you want to hold a bad stave together but if you really want to use sinew then go for it.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »
If it had run out I'd bring it back to the store. Sinewing is a pain. Why lessen the chances for success? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wally

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 04:55:25 am »
Most replying on here are against using sinew on your bow, and all their answers are perfectly correct, in my humble opinion. You've got the benefit of some really experienced bowyers who I respect.
However >:D if the runout is not too bad, and as you say you want to try sinew backing, I personally would give it a go, not withstanding that it's time consuming a bit.
Everybody should sinew back a bow once in their life and this may be your time ;)
It can give you a servicable bow that is definitely all your own work and a learning experience.
However you should probably follow the great advice you've got ;D
and hey! Let's be careful out there

TurtleCreek

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 11:39:29 am »
  I actually got the hickory for free.  One piece was cut with a bandsaw out of a stave to the dimensions of 8 feet long, 2 inches wide by an inch and a half thick.  The other piece is a half log split that is 7 and a half feet long, about 9 inches wide and 4 and a half to 5 inches thick.  The bandsawed piece is the one I was referring to with the run-out.  the half log appears to have pretty straight grain which is what I may end up using for the sinew.  How many staves do you think I would be able to get out of that half log?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 12:03:19 pm »
I was tired when I wrote that. What I meant to say was that since sinew is so much work I would not use it on a questionable stave that may break eventually anyway.  I would use it on a short stave  that I wanted to ensure would take my draw length. Also, remember that sinew adds mass so too long a stave will not extract the benefit from sinew. Some of you picked up that I am not a fan of sinew. LOL. But don't let my prejudices affect you. Try it.:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 01:57:28 pm »
That is what I like about you Jawge. You have strong opinions but let others have theirs as well. You are absolutely right about what you said though. I also know you are not a fan of short bows as well :)

@ turtlecreek

make your hickory bow 52" or so in lenght, 1 1/2" across the handle, parallel width out to 8" from the tips tapering from there to your nocks. Reflex it using whatever method you like and lay down your sinew while holding the bow in reflex. Just take your time and have FUN!!

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 02:46:37 pm »
hickory is pretty good stuff, even with a few runouts.    ive made some redoak board bows un backed with a few runouts..  just depends on your definition of "a few".  lol.  if you want to practice, give your self a little wiggle room and make the bow a bit longer than you want, just for practice.  better to have a practice bow stay together, better for the soul that way! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 06:51:41 am »
JonW, my draw length is 27 inches.   Isn't 52 in. a tad short for bow length?