Author Topic: pierson county chert  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Blacktail

pierson county chert
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:14:43 am »
does any one sell pierson chert..i never see it being sold or even really chipped..john

Offline Tower

Re: pierson county chert
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:22 pm »
Where's it from?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:33:32 pm »
Never heard of it. Looks like Arkansas or Missouri would be a long drive for you ;D. Googled it and I didn't come up with anything..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:36:43 pm »
No distance is too far for good rock.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:49:15 am »
missouri...

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 10:06:03 am »
Most of it comes from along the Mo/ Ark line,  Jim Spears has givin me some over the years, but I have never seen a large piece of it. Alot of the Daltons that are found around that area are made from it, so there is some bigger stuff somewhere? Different colors abound with the stuff, they call "camo" being the best. Kind of crosses over with another called" Reed springs chert". It is great material if you can get it,but is heavily hoarded. work it raw.

Derek McLean (who started the calender) uses alot of the stuff,so he has a source somewhere.

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 02:34:01 pm »
If the beer's cold.& the rock's good...

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:41:16 pm »
I've picked some up in a bluff by the Branson MO airport. Huge nodule maybe 30lbs but it just crumbles to bits. I'm waiting to get into it a bit after I learn some more "thinning without losing much width" tricks, not so good at that right now.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)