Author Topic: American Warbow Society  (Read 53415 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: American Warbow Society
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2011, 05:37:24 pm »
Here's Part 1 of my introductory video on my new Youtube channel "American Warbow SW":    ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ2hZsUWaEQ
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:11 pm »
I mentioned this in the other thread, but let me repeat:
Great job on the intro video, Jack Crafty!

I think that ash-juniper wood looks beautiful, and I can't wait to see that thing in action!  I think the bowstring looks fairly distinct too, is that how it looks before you wax it?  Interesting!

I'm interested in making a bow out of white ash when I can get the tools for it, is that closely related to ash-juniper or are those not that related? 

Also, just wanted to throw out:
Is anyone else that has posted in this thread interested in signing up to an e-mail list?  I'll try to make it a habit of sending out any pertinent information we come up with to those on the list. 

Is anyone from Canada interested in working with us for a (North) American Warbow Society?  Or are you guys interested in setting up a separate Canadian Warbow Society?  I noticed that there seems to be a few people in the Ontario province on the forums; that would be a perfect opportunity to form a practice group or several I think.

Either way, if anyone in that area would like to coordinate with us, feel free to let me/us know!
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2011, 01:30:18 pm »
I think that ash-juniper wood looks beautiful, and I can't wait to see that thing in action!  I think the bowstring looks fairly distinct too, is that how it looks before you wax it?  Interesting!

Yes, that string is not waxed and it's only 2-ply.  The final string will be waxed and 3-ply.  I've had good results using sisal twine for bowstrings as long as the twine is high quality and at least 200# test.  This twine is not the stuff you buy at Wally World.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2011, 12:56:22 am »
200# test sisel twine, I'll keep that in mind :D

Oh, and I've watched all five of your videos thus far, and I say you're doing a fantastic job getting started up!  My only (very minor) criticism would be to ask if you could increase the volume of the microphone as it's sometimes difficult to hear (I have a very low volume laptop that has bad audio quailty, so it's partly my fault), but I realize that's difficult to do outside with background noises.

But other than that, you have some great info and some great advice on exercise and diet!  I may not go on Paleo because the idea of eating that much meat makes my stomach churn (I like my carbs thank you); but I definitely need to get my upper body strength going better.  I'll hold to that, 20-30 pushups minimum per day!

I may be slow to get any video out of my own, but that's because I'm sadly currently bowless.  Once I fix that, I'll see what I can do!  Until then, I'll make sure to spread the word about your channel and group, especially to my HEMA friends in the Texas area!
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2011, 02:27:29 pm »
Thanks Jonathan!  I'll work on that volume issue.  The mic I'm using now is kind of unpredictable.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with limiting the amount of meat in your diet!  I just happen to like meat A LOT and lean heavily in that direction. ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2012, 09:13:30 pm »
Hello everyone, this is in responce to Ringeck85's comment as well as any other Canadians viewing. I have contacted Mark Stretton  a while back and I am working on the Canadian Warbow Society, (thanks to Keith of EWBNZ and a number of fellow EWBS members, who have given me great advice from their own successes.) There are already a number of us, almost all are in eastern Ontario. All others are welcome, please PM or Email me if interested, (Agincourtwarbow@hotmail.com) .
Thanks and best of luck to our fellow North Americans!
Cheers,
-Jake
-For King Henry, England and Saint George!!!-

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2012, 10:21:31 pm »
IThat's great news, Jake!  I think that forming a Canadian Warbow Society, as you all seem somewhat concentrated in Ontario, makes perfect sense.  I wish you and your fellow Canadians the best in your endeavors, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

I look forward to having the American and Canadian Warbow Societies interact sometime soon!

Oh btw, I also enjoy watching the stuff on your youtube channel. You have the makings of a great archer, I think, and if you keep up with your practice and talent, you will certainly be a leader in the community by your example.  I'll definitely keep you in touch, and would you mind if I added you to the e-mail list I made?

also also cheers :P
-Jonathan
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2012, 07:10:45 pm »
Here my short intro for the AWBS Northwest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkENsediWg

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2012, 07:56:29 pm »
Excellent start, Cody!  And thanks for including both primitive archery forums and the gmail account in the vid!  I'm sure that will help with growing interest across the nation for our group!

Thank you to everyone who's helping to get the word out there!
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline Agincourtwarb0w

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2012, 12:09:55 am »
Hey there Jonathan, thanks for the kind words mate! I too look forward to the meeting of the two North American Warbow Society branches, lets take the continent by storm eh! haha.
Aye by all means feel free to add me mate, keep in touch, communication is always key! ;).
Thanks again Jonathan, cheers!

Also nice intros out there, nice work Jackcrafty and Dag, all the best to you both.
-Jake
-For King Henry, England and Saint George!!!-

Offline peasant1381

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2012, 04:06:39 am »
Jake has done a great job in making a start on a CWS. If you blokes can match his enthusiasm and commitment I'm sure a AWS will be a great success. The Aussies also have a group up and running in which the Kiwis have been included into their own unique grading system.
http://warbowaustralia.weebly.com/
Cheers
Keith

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2012, 01:28:59 am »
I like that grading system! Very cool  8)  Does the member get a patch corresponding with their rank?

Offline peasant1381

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2012, 03:43:31 am »
I don't know about a patch but you do get a certificate. The top 3 names on the list belong to me and the NZ warbow bows :)

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 07:32:09 pm »
Say, does anyone know the forum for the EWBS?  I've seen some links floating around but it's a dead forum.  Is there a new one up yet floating around somewhere? 
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline Ian.

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 10:44:38 pm »
After some problems it became a closed forum only EWBS members are allowed to access the forum, it is still going very strong.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/