Author Topic: American Warbow Society  (Read 53414 times)

Offline Ringeck85

Re: American Warbow Society
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 01:40:44 am »
What about just collecting an e-mail list and having mass e-mails of announcements for those interested?  Perhaps a tad less personal or flexible than facebook, but everyone on the forum's going to have an e-mail I would imagine.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline Ian.

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 09:42:14 am »
It needs someone who feels like they can take the reins and, has the free time to set a society up.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 09:56:27 am »
i would, but i'm lacking the free time part of that, if we cant find 1 person to do it, maybe get a group of like 3 people to share the responsibility
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2011, 05:30:46 pm »
I would be glad to set up an e-mail list to get us started!  And if anyone would like to share the responsibility of this, I'd be more than happy to share the reins.

I'm glad to help communications between groups/chapters and I would be excited to help in the founding of this sort of society in any way I can. 

Please pm me your e-mail address and location if you're interested and I'll add you to my contact list, or send me a message at a gmail address set up for this purpose: 

americanwarbow@gmail.com
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2011, 10:25:33 pm »
I could handle our youtube presence.  With your permission, I could use the "amercanwarbow@gmail" account to create a youtube channel.  Some correspondence related to the channel would go that gmail address but I would respond to all messages within the youtube channel. I would also handle all video submissions.  I will not generate revenue from the channel.

How does that sound?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:35:02 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2011, 10:39:29 pm »
Ringneck, are you able to create a youtube channel with the "americanwarbow" user name?

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2011, 11:36:21 pm »
if you do a YouTube channel. ill donate some videos soon :D

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2011, 11:48:00 pm »
Jack, I can certainly log into youtube from americanwarbows, but I'm uncertain if that makes it an official youtube account or not.  Probably is.

I'd be ok with sharing the gmail account as long as my personal e-mail isn't shown on the account.  I'm pretty sure it isn't I'll have to double check that; I think it's under my full name I'll have to edit that.

Why don't both of us figure that out, Jack.  Send me your e-mail address or e-mail that account and I'll first add you to contacts, and then we'll figure out how to share access for a youtube channel.  Probably isn't too hard.

Which by the way, is a Great idea!  And thank you for offering to send videos, fishfinder!
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2011, 02:19:06 am »
Ring, Sending you a PM ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2011, 03:32:37 am »
jackcrafty, i'm here to help however i can, just tell me what you need done

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2011, 04:36:37 am »
Finder, if you've got some videos, get them ready.  I'll let you know when the channel is up ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2011, 04:49:11 am »
My email is jackcrafty@yahoo.com

Email me any info, questions, suggestions, etc.  I'll keep a record and use this to help draft the society's mission statement, focus, and rules.

Also, I am volunteering to represent the Southwest region of the US. I can also host events anywhere within 150 miles from Midland.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:43 pm »
ill represent the northeast, but because of my age, i'm not sure how much i can do as far as events, but ill see when it gets to that point

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:59 am »
I'm in the Mid-Atlantic!

It will take some time to get this together.  I think first and foremost, communication with each other is key to getting something started.  We're all very spread out, and so communicating via e-mail, and sharing interpretations and such on youtube, will only help.

I'm a member of the Historical European Martial Arts Alliance, and I will ask them about people that might be interested in the archery aspect of martial arts, and how to help us become an organization.  Once I get my bow again (alas, it is in storage several states away!)  I will also get out and practice, and see if anyone else in my area is interested in getting together and starting a local group.

I'd basically want to see the AWBS ultimately as an umbrella nonprofit organization that aides diverse local practice groups with resources.  Resources on how to shoot war bows, resources on how to make war bows, resources on the history behind what we do, etc.  And of course, communication and hopefully, competition between groups.

So the first thing any of us can do is see if we can start a local group.  It doesn't have to be official (just legal hopefully), but getting some friends together and practicing once or twice a week does wonders to help improve. 

And since we aren't necessarily limited to only practicing the English/Welsh war bow, we might be able to get people interested in other national styles of martial archery to practice alongside us.  I don't think there's anything wrong with "cross training".  In other martial arts (I want to focus on archery as a martial art, not just a competitive sport), all it does is make you a better martial artist as you learn about different styles and different ways to solve the same problem.  I don't see why that can't apply to archery as well.

I'm going to work on some essays/statements on some of my ideas for this in the next couple of weeks and send it to you all on the e-mail list.  Stay tuned!
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2011, 12:32:21 am »
ill see what interest i can conjurer up in my area