Author Topic: Good weathering wood.  (Read 3288 times)

HatchA

Good weathering wood.
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:25 am »
I'm wondering if the likes of Oak and other hard woods have similar abilities to stand against Mamma Nature as Osage does.

There are Osage fenceposts that've been in the ground for donkeys years and still manage to keep together, let alone make fine bows.

Basically, I want to make a wooden grave marker and I'd like it to last a few years.  I don't have easy access to Osage boards, otherwise I'd get a 4'x2'x2" piece to use.  I'm pretty sure it'd out-live me. 

Any advice would be welcome.

Steve.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Good weathering wood.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:37:45 am »
Hatch:
The answere is NO.
Most white hard wood (if not all )rot quite fast in contact with the ground.

Osage is the best choice that I know of.
Black Locust would be my second choice.
A good piece of Eastern Red Ceder would be my third choice.

Someone else may know of other woods that will last in contact with the ground.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:31:10 am »
Thanks David.

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »
If you could get hold of swamp cypress it will last twice you're life span I can show some that are so old the carving is weathered away.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:01:50 pm »
They say the best outdoor decks are made of ipe.  I guess ipe would work if you can get it in the board size you want.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:36:36 pm »
Thanks fellas. 

Our oldest Golden Retriever died today at just over 13 years old.  I'm burying her in the back garden with three other pets and I think it's about time I put up a marker for them all.

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:43:19 pm »
White Oak is a good outdoor wood but the ground contact is what will do it in.  I'd suggest using pressure treated lumber for the part that goes into the ground and White Oak for the above ground portion making sure the oak isn't in ground contact. 
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »
I would say cypress  it's really resilient 
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25:13 pm »
Aye, in Ireland - most (if not all) of the wood used for fenceposts, fencing and all that kind of timber is pressure treated pine.  As far as I can see, it wastes away just like any other wood...  checking and drying out to the point of splitting.  It truly is a joke here - soft woods used for these kinds of things cos they need pretty much constant replacing over the years.  Having said that - we don't have Osage as a native wood but I'm hoping to change that in my garden, in the future ;)

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:53 pm »
Aye, in Ireland - most (if not all) of the wood used for fenceposts, fencing and all that kind of timber is pressure treated pine.  As far as I can see, it wastes away just like any other wood...  checking and drying out to the point of splitting.  It truly is a joke here - soft woods used for these kinds of things cos they need pretty much constant replacing over the years.  Having said that - we don't have Osage as a native wood but I'm hoping to change that in my garden, in the future ;)

You can make up for the lack of durability in the wood somewhat by the finish you use.  It's a two step finish that consists of coating the wood with epoxy (west system is what I'm familiar with, I don't know what's available over there) then covering the epoxy with a true marine grade spar varnish for UV protection.  The best places to find these finishes are stores that cater to yachts.  It's not a maintenance free finish, but properly applied it is very durable.  As far as the part that gets stuck in the ground, I'd suggest coming up with a design that allows you to use a sacrificial part that can be replaced as needed. 
Mark
Lindale, TX

HatchA

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:30:38 pm »
Thanks Stretch.  Yacht finish (French polishing) had crossed my mind at one point.  I might go down that route on a nice piece of something hard :)

Upon closer inspection of where our Pet Sematary is, I can use one of the shitty fenceposts already there, as a standing point and fix the marker to that.

Appreciate all the responses.

Steve.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 01:07:30 pm »
Why don't you build the above ground part out of your favorite hardwood and finished in your favorite weatherproof method?  Drill a hole in the bottom and mount a metal rod sticking out the bottom.  Select a pipe a little larger than the rod and bury it in the ground.  Rustproof your rod and insert it in the pipe.  The part above ground is what you want, what's below ground isn't wood at all.  Just a thought, stolen from 3d targets.

George
St Paul, TX

HatchA

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 04:15:41 pm »
Rustproof your rod and insert it in the pipe. 

:D:D:D

I needed that!!

Thanks George ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 07:09:26 pm »
Ooops.  :o :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
St Paul, TX

HatchA

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 07:10:36 pm »
Ooops.  :o :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[