Author Topic: noob trying to make a bow  (Read 11968 times)

Offline david w.

noob trying to make a bow
« on: June 12, 2007, 02:23:42 pm »
im 13 and trying to craft my first real bow. im about to start putting on the backing.  i will let you guys know when its done and hopefully if i figure out the camera i will post a picture.  i am making it from a red oak board i kow a board isnt very good but i had no choice does someone know where i can get some staves?

what are some tips making the bow?

thanks,
david
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: noob trying to make a bow
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 02:48:25 pm »
Welcome aboard, David. You have come to the right place. ;) Red oak can make a very good bow. What sort of backing do you plan for your new bow?  Can you give us some idea of the demensions  for your bow...length, width at the fades, style, etc?
   One of the most important things you need for building wood bows is patience. The sooner you realize this the quicker you will learn. If you feel frustrated about what is happening or agrivated with it, put it down, walk away and clear your head. If you don't you will definately screw up!
   Once you get a few bows under your belt and feel confident about this craft, I will send you a stave, at no cost to you, but you have to promise to pass on the knowledge you recieve here to someone that is interested is joining in.
   If you need help setting up your board, check out Jawge's website. Everything you will need to build your bow will be found there...and don't be shy. Ask questions...Whether you think them dumb or not and we will do our best to answer them for you or set you on the correct path for success.    Pat

ps. Where are you from? That will help us to help you find wood in your area that will make bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:52:50 pm »
Welcome to the site David, nothing wrong with a board bow, I've made quite a few of them and they shoot as well as a stave.
I usually back my board bows with linen fabric, but silk or even paper from a grocery bag will work. Pat's right lots of good help to found here.
Good luck and hope to see some pics of yer progress.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:03:26 pm »
I wish i had the drive to build when i was 13. I am new to bow making also. My first two bows were boards. 1 was succesful and 1 came apart before completion. Like these guys  said Patience . Don't be shy. I have learned many valuable lessons from asking questions. I am a believer in passing it on also. So if I can help someone else,, ask away.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:59:46 pm »
Nice to hear that. What are you using for a backing. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:11:36 pm »

Welcome David, please ask questions freely and like everyone said..."be patient". :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline StanM

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:37:22 pm »
Hi David,

Well come to bow making.  I teach an archery class at the middle school that I work at.  We often make bows from Red Oak 1x2's, unbacked.  I cut the bows out to rough shape on a bandsaw from a six foot board with the following dimensions and the students procede from there with a rasp, scrapers and sandpaper.  Here is the method that I follow, maybe you will find it useful.

Starting with the six foot 1x2 (actually 3/4" x 1 1/2") cut six inches off of one end and save.  This will leave you with a 66" board.  Locate the middle at 33" from the end and make a mark across the 1 1/2" width.  Measure up from the mark 2 inches in either direction and make a mark across the width.  This is the center 4" for your handle.  Measure in from the edge of your handle 1/4" on either side to reduce the width of the handle to 1" for that 4" section.  Make a mark 1" up from the handle section on both ends and mark another line across the bow.  Draw a diagonal line from the 1" wide handle to the edge of the board at this new line, giving you a tapered "fade" that is one inch on either end.

Take the six inch block that you cut off and glue it onto six inch section that you just marked out for the handle and fades, making sure not to obscure your lines.  Now, beginning at the fades make a mark on each limb every six inches.  You should have six for the thirty inches of limb on either end, including one at the tip.  Measuring from the back of the bow up leave the thickness of the board at 3/4" at the fade (first mark).  Six inches up from the fade make a mark that is 11/16th of an inch up from the back of the bow.  12" up from the fade make a mark that is 5/8th on an inch up from the back.  18" up from the fade make a mark that is 9/16th of an inch up from the back.  24" up from the handle make a mark that is 1/2" up from the back.  At the tip make a mark that is 7/16th of an inch.  Connect the dots along the length of the limb to form a gradual limb thickness taper.

Now carefully cut out the bow on a bandsaw along the lines you marked for the handle and the limb thickness.  What you have in your hand is a blank that can be turned into a stiff handled bow in a weekend with a 4-in-1 rasp, a scraper and some sandpaper.  The dimensions for the taper that I listed will make a bow of 50 pounds, though in class we usually shoot for 35-40.  You will have some work to do removing wood, but will have enough wood to make a good bow.

Wow, I just read this and it doesn't even make much sense to me.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  I should have some time on Friday to take pictures of what I mean.

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:11:05 pm »
thank you for replying it helped alot. im from south central illinois there is yew, osage, hickory, and oak by my house i know that much. im  using fiberglass drywall tape to back it im going to do that right after im done posting.  

dimension:
3/8 at the nocks
72 in long
70 ntn

there is more here's the website i got hte dimensions from  http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/index.html

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 11:14:16 pm »
one other question what is the string length on a 70" ntn bow i heard 67 and 68 i need to know bbecause i ordered the string and the order is in the mail i still have time to call the guy and change it

what is it?

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 11:40:18 pm »
Pat B. the stave would be great! i promise to pass on my knowlede to whoever wants to know. ill send you a pm when the time comes. Ill pay shipping.  I heard these people are nice and they are! the tips helped so much.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 11:50:58 pm »
David, Just let me know when you're ready. In the mean time, start making sawdust and we will talk you through it. ;)  Show us pics as soon as you are able.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 12:12:52 am »
ok i will

i keep ya posted on my progress

now i need to finish putting on my backing ;D

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 01:11:49 am »
Welcome David....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Jbell

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 01:34:17 am »
Welcome David, you picked a great place to learn from, bunch of great folks around here. What town are you by in Illinois? You may be close, I live in Greenville, which is sort of considered south central Illinois. It would be no problem for me to give a stave, I have Osage,Hard Maple,Cedar(which maybe you are calling Yew?) Hackberry, and Sassafrass. Let me know, I might be able to hook you up with all kinds goodies and could help ya out also. Keep us posted.
Justin Blunt

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 03:10:02 am »

welcome david! - i'm on the board since half a year and i really learned a lot around here!
frank 
Frank from Germany...