Author Topic: What type of Rattle snake is this? It's redish pink  (Read 7846 times)

Offline NTD

Re: What type of Rattle snake is this? It's redish pink
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »
I do a lot of field herping but I will not kill snakes, if that's what you're asking? 
Nate Danforth

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 12:13:14 am »
Ok. Do you catch a lot of live snakes? Just curious ;)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline NTD

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 12:18:21 am »
I find a lot of live but usually stay hands off as often as I can. 
Nate Danforth

Offline criveraville

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 02:07:21 am »
. I see. That's gotta be fun and exciting
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline NTD

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 02:13:14 am »
Sorry for the short responses, my computer is broken and I'm limited to posting with my phone.

It is defintitely a good time if you're a reptile nut like myself.  I much prefer the skins of snakes to stay with their owner's but if the animal is dead I definitely would prefer it grace the back of someone's bow than rot somewhere. 
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 11:43:46 am »
NTD, im somewhat like you
when i am in the woods if i see one i keep hands off and just look
we dont even have the poisonous ones here to worry about and i still keep hands off
i dont usually see many at all
but this spring during turkey hunting i seen atleast 3 garder snakes
2 were rather small,about 18"
but the last i seen was big enough for a bow back,she was atleast 3-3.5' long
i havent seen one that long in years,maybe even decades
i thought about aquiring it for a bow back
then i thought, no that would just be wrong
that snake aint never done nothing to me so i have no reason to harm it
so i let her keep going on her marry way ;D
besides after not seeing one that big for so many years,i didnt want to harm her
she should make good breeding stock
if her skin was meant to adorn the back of a bow for,i will comes across her when shes dead  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 02:47:46 pm »
I have seen quite a few this year also. I prefer the hands off approach also. I saw a gopher snake Friday that was over 6 feet which in unusual with everybody killing everything they see. It was kind of refreshing to see one live that long. I also saw a breeding pair of red racers. The reds are amazing looking snakes, but I cant bring myself to kill one much less two.

I have some friends that are ranchers that kill every rattler they see so I get them to save them for me.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 10:24:45 pm »
You guys make me jealous with your fancy lookin snakes.  All we have around here are black snakes and a few corn snakes.  A guy from work gave me a nice corn snake that he swears is a copperhead.  I tried to tell him that it isn't one, but he won't listen.  He kills them whenever he sees them.  I got one black snake that was wounded on the road, and one that was too close to my Dad's house.  The one from the road was a little more alive than I thought.  He bit me on the hand.  It took 13 days for the last tooth to work its way out.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 01:42:26 am »
NTD

I hear ya.. I'm mostly on my phone and I make hear ya  ;) Im basically of the same mind, but I will kill poisonous snakes, but most folks, even "educated" folks think the only good snake is a dead snake.. So I pit the word out if they do such a thing, to PLEASE not let it rot and go to waist.. Now I get calls all the time to go pick up snakes. Most are pesky chicken snakes full of chicks or eggs and many water snakes full of bait fish. I have a buddy that runs a fish farm and they the snakes get caught and drown in the fish traps.. Before I spoke with them the let em be and rot... Now I "recycle" em and mail em all over the US 8)

Offline NTD

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 01:54:00 am »
The irony about killing rattlesnakes is that you are often creating a more dangerous situation.  Most people only see a rattlesnake that they first heard.  Well in urban interface areas this pressure is leaving snakes that are genetically predisposed to not rattle as quick or much at all.  There are even areas where some snakes are losing their rattles all together, the quiet ones don't get seen and subsequently murdered, and therefore pass those quiet genes on to their kids.  I'd much prefer the dog growls before he bites me.....   
Nate Danforth

Offline criveraville

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 03:42:16 am »
I have read about that and seen documentaries on the subject on tv. Natural selection type stuff, but that subject matter in and of itself tends to work folks up.. Like in college, a world lit class and different flood stories from different cultures really worked folks up... Like hot skipping mad >:D Me, I have my faith and it's based on faith O:) I know what I know. And what I know is that I am blessed beyond what I deserve, and that's a fact  ;)

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 04:32:10 am »
It's an oxblood rattler  ;)

never gets old....

;D ;D ;D
Frank from Germany...

Offline NTD

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 01:22:15 pm »
I have read about that and seen documentaries on the subject on tv. Natural selection type stuff, but that subject matter in and of itself tends to work folks up.. Like in college, a world lit class and different flood stories from different cultures really worked folks up... Like hot skipping mad >:D Me, I have my faith and it's based on faith O:) I know what I know. And what I know is that I am blessed beyond what I deserve, and that's a fact  ;)

You're bordering on the no-no territory here.  What I'm taking about is not controversial at all...
Not even Intelligent design scientist's deny natural selection, so I really don't know what the heck you are trying to say.  Have you had a vaccination recently?  Eat any beef or chicken?  Do you have a dog?  These are all empirical, observable and repeatable occurences of natural selection.  These are things YOU observe with YOUR own eyes.  This has nothing to do with the volatile issue of ID versus Evo.

Nate Danforth

Offline criveraville

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 01:44:48 pm »
NTD, I agree with you.. I didn't think it was controversial.  I agree with you.  That's what I was saying.  I see it all the time, even in my backyard.  I have a minor in biology and it is amazing how animals adapt and change over time.  What I was saying is that TOO many people deny that such things can happen with animals and what I was saying is, that to me, I can see these things and it doesn't bother my sensibilities ;)

I do have a dog, Lucy.  No, vacation, but I sure could use one... I do eat beef, chicken, and many other critters often ;D

Offline NTD

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 01:49:19 pm »
Ah okay, I see, my bad :)
Nate Danforth