Author Topic: FF strings on wood bows?  (Read 9633 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
FF strings on wood bows?
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »
Anybody use any of the FF type of string materials on their self bows? I was thinking about trying some D-97 rather than B-50.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

Re: FF strings on wood bows?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:59:39 pm »
Just got some in the mail this weekend.  Made a string and put it on my Osage bow.  Made a noticeable difference in the bow's performance.  I figured it would even before I shot it, just giving the bow a small pluck, the pitch was much higher and more taught.  It did shoot better.
I have buffalo horn overlays on that bow.  Everyone says make sure you've got a tough tip overlay or it will cut through over time.  That bow is about 55#, don't know if you need a certain draw weight to notice a difference. 
It even comes in neon colors.
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:17:10 pm »
I dont use tip overlays generally. The D-97 is about the size of B-55, makes me wonder why it would cut through, and just how long that might take? I suppose I could pad the loops with wool yarn first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »
I've got some B-55 that I've yet to make a string with.  Never did really understand the differences/significances of Dacron versus FF... :-\ ???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:43:34 pm »
55 is nice stuff Hatch. FF is more quiet and faster is all. Its a world of difference.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:03:58 pm »
I believe the difference is that fast flight basically doesn't stretch, so when you release the arrow and the string slams home, your limbs have to absorb more of the energy that would have been absorbed into a stretchier string.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »
Ted Fry,Has been useing it on Self and backed bows for years.He said he has used it on self bows without overlays on many of his sold bows without problems.As a matter of fact,he told me,he has tried strings from just about everything you can think of,Primitive and non and has come to preferr the non stretch modern strings.Personally,i use b 50.There is no reason,you couldnt add B50,into the loops,if it worries you.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 03:33:44 pm »
The no stretch is good for the bow and arrow. I think I will get some 97 on order and try it out. If the limbs dont flop back and forth after release it has to be better fo the wood it seems. I use VERY heavy ash shafts so my bow limbs usually dont have much unused energy left over.

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 03:59:37 pm »
I've just put an Angel Majesty (don't you love those daft Japanese names?) sting on my latest 50# Yew longbow, it's almost as fast as my old 75#. you can feel the slightly harder tension when you pluck it. Dunno if it effect my accuracy 'cos I don't have much anyway ;).
I don't think it should be a prob', but then I use continuous loop strings with serving on the loops.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 04:35:32 pm »
I hate Dacron. That stuff stretches and stretches and stretches and... Fast Flight doesn't. I don't use overlays, but simply splice a few strands of B50 into each loop. Harder woods, like ipe, are sufficient protection though. Even on my heavy bows I haven't had any problems.

Frankly, after making both modern composites and lots of selfbows, I think modern bows are more in trouble with high performance strings. Fiberglass likes to split and crack like crazy compared to wood, which just sorta smushes at first.

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:57:31 pm »
I dont use tip overlays generally. The D-97 is about the size of B-55, makes me wonder why it would cut through, and just how long that might take? I suppose I could pad the loops with wool yarn first.

...or use the felt pads off your cymbal stands ;)

sorry - had me a set of pearls back in the day.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:01:25 am »
I made the switch to FF recently. I like it. It cuts down on handshock and adds some speed. Do yourself a favor and try it out.  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 04:48:25 am »
Fiberglass likes to split and crack like crazy compared to wood, which just sorta smushes at first.
Ha, another new word in the bowyers lexicon ;D.
It's a good description of how it reacts, copmresses and deforms to conform with the shape of the sting is waaaay too many words.
'Smushes' says it better!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:28:43 pm »
Fiberglass likes to split and crack like crazy compared to wood, which just sorta smushes at first.
Ha, another new word in the bowyers lexicon ;D.
It's a good description of how it reacts, copmresses and deforms to conform with the shape of the sting is waaaay too many words.
'Smushes' says it better!
Del

As soon as you see it you know... it's smushed ;D

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 02:27:26 pm »
While we have people talking about bow string... I'm looking to buy my first spool of bow string. What specific FF product do you recommend for 50-60# selfbows and where is a place that sells it for a good price. What is a good price?

Thanks
Weylin