Author Topic: what would you do advice please  (Read 2789 times)

Offline iowabow

what would you do advice please
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:15:51 pm »
I am reaching for advice here so please jump in.  Finally. I can make a nice sided bi face without troublesome steps or hinges.  So now do I keep thinning the bi face if so do I flake or strike it with the bopper.  So what do you all do when you have made it this far at this scale?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:22:09 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: what would you do advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:39:34 pm »
That looks good John! Personally I would carry on with percussion on that peice (i use copper). You can get such large spalls even from a nice biface with percussion. If i were to swith to pressure at that point i would pretty much stop thinning and just pretty it up some. I like thin :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:42:52 pm »
what I would do is make the broken end the base , straighten the edges , build some small platforms isolated, to remove the high side. I would place the tip of my finger 2/3rds the width across from the platform and remove the flake. This will help control the flake & terminate it close enough to the edge to pressure it. I would finish thinning it with my Ishi.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:05:51 pm »
At that point I make my final decision on what type of point I want and notch it or flute the base, if required, before I thin out the blade.  Plaform preparation is key from here on in.  I touch up the edges with pressure if needed.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:33:02 pm »
I'd take pictures of it and post up that I could finally make a decent biface consistantly thanks to the people on here, then procede to break it trying to thin it more and cuss it, then start allllll over again.....or you could just make a nice point ;)

Sorry I didnt have anything useful to say, but your progression amazes me. I'm a little more thick headed and slow learning. Keep it up. Always like looking at your work!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 04:03:46 pm »
Well I am here to learn so I am going to proceed with thinning and if it break I will post the pictures so I can learn why as will. I always wondered when I should stop percussion and switch to pressure.  So thank you all for the replies

Offline maddog314

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:19:18 pm »
Break it and start again and break that one and start another ;D Looks like you are doing a good job on that one>

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:17:01 pm »
I personally would use an Ishi stick u can thin it doing that too.. I would as mentioned isolate a few platforms to remove the high side! No rush so kinda clean it up set some platforms... take a picture when u get that far!  U can use a sharpie marker and circle the high areas in reference to percussion flake after u isolate the platforms... hope it helps or makes sense!

Cheers,

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 01:52:12 am »
I was not use to knocking thin flakes from so small of a platform. I started to get the process down toward the end. I did as many of you suggested and isolated the platform with some pressure flakes and then with very from but carfully aim I hit the small platform with some good speed. below is an example of a nice flake.  Even though I had trouble in the beginning the stone started to work with me.  There is a bad section in the stone that does not flake well so I thinned from the other side. I was able to reduce the thickness but more importantly I think I got the idea.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:56:36 am by iowabow »

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:16 am »
well done john. you are doing great
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 10:19:58 am »
It's all Ishi thinning from there. Good job.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 06:02:24 pm »
Well here is where I stopped what a hair raising ordeal. The concrete on the upper left caused problem after problem but I keep fighing it to the very end.  Also I have a new issue the edge of the platform is sometimes breaking at a 90 and creating a half moonshape if you are looking down at the flat point.  It happenned three times and I never had that happen before.  Anyway it was not a deal breaker but could be if it happens when I am working on a tip someday.  I have no idea what to do with the base any suggestions.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:28:41 pm by iowabow »

Offline Tower

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:49:01 pm »
Give it a concave base & you've made yourself a plainview point.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »
man oh man you have come a very long way in a real short time
thats looking real nice

now ifn that were my preform
i would set it up to flute it and make a clovis style blade
but thats ust me,im into fluting lately
havent made much but i keep on trying  ;) ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd