Author Topic: how to find flaws in your arrowheads  (Read 3566 times)

Offline iowabow

how to find flaws in your arrowheads
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:45:24 am »
First you knap a nice preform then thin with a couple final passes and when it magically breaks in half YOU WILL FIND IT!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:49:03 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: how to find flaws in your arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:46:44 am »
Use curse words and superglue!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:03:46 am »
Hurl them across the yard as hard as you can immediatly! As I've said before a person can draw a certain amount of satisfaction just by watching them fly ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 01:54:01 am »
i like to toss them in the air and thne hit them with my mose billet
if i can find them after that i usually take a hammerstaone and make short work of whats left  >:D

but that looks to me to have been a support/pressure issue more than a flaw in the rock
but i also cant see the whole rock like you can
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:07:34 am »
I broke several tonight working with my new batch of heat treated rock.  My daughter came over and saw the broken pieces at my feet and asked me if she could crush them into powder.  I said, "Sure!".  They learn quick....heheh ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:03:41 am »
Might have had a crystal pocket but as mentioned supporting it correctly will prevent it from snapping... also try to identify where fractures or problem areas and feather them in rather than trying to flake them right out.... hope that helps...I have had some of the nicest blade 12 in plus snap  doesnt make u too happy either LOL ;D

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 05:55:43 pm »

Oh by all means, say the magic words, and say them like you mean them!  then do the magic short step dance, all with the "look"  sort of like one of those N.A. Indian dance masks, and then release the demons energy, by smashing the stone, to pieces, so that the energy will dissipate, and the demons will immediately die, and not infect other rock.  The words, and danceand look, keeps the demons away from your good rock, and the smashing hides .....uh, I mean gets rid of the broken piece, and the demons, if any others are lurking near by, will only see nice points, and leave the area, and go in search of stone where the owner doesn't know the words, and dance, or the look, and the pulverizing technique.  You can tell if the demons are dead, by the immediate feeling of revenge completed. ;)  Then go have a beer, relax and read, or watch television, or go on line to this site, and settle down for awhile, have a drink, your choice, ;) and then go back, and complete a nice stone piece. ;)  You have to pace yourself after one of these events.  It is the rare individual who can have a really nice piece break, and just toss the pieces aside, and then pick up another piece of rock, and then start again, to making a really nice piece...... ;)  All without saying the words, or doing the dance, or without even having the look.  I have seen people like these, and I think it is an act, while others are around.  It is after the others leave that those people probably go back and grab the offending pieces, and do the routine with it.  They probably have neat tackle boxes too! ::)  Just something not right about that. ;D

Wayne

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »
I like to throw them in my neighbors cornfield. Maybe one day long in the future someone will find them & wonder about the story that stone could tell.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:15:01 pm »
All of this was fun to read.  I will feather out and I will watch the support issue.  I did make this point today and I felt a little better. 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 12:30:06 am »
nice  8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 01:57:36 am »
Broke two today.I think the sun got in my eyes just as I went to whack. Maybe we'll have clouds tomorrow.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 03:02:29 am »
Oh by all means, say the magic words, and say them like you mean them!  then do the magic short step dance, all with the "look"  sort of like one of those N.A. Indian dance masks, and then release the demons energy, by smashing the stone, to pieces, so that the energy will dissipate, and the demons will immediately die, and not infect other rock.

I wanna party with you, Dude!!!  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 06:18:42 am »
LOL about wanting to party with the guy... Since we are getting in story time yesterday I made a beautiful blade which i was going to haft up or at least take a picture and post it... I sat it down on my girlfriends table for one minute...she has 2 of the weirdest cats I have ever seen...they take shit that most cats dont like a watermelon rind and drag it off like a great kill or something... they saw it on the table and batted it off on the tiled floor ...yep it broke, I got so mad i smashed it up and threw it in the woods!!!  Now thinking about it I could have made a couple of bird points!  One day Im gonna have some BBQ and not say where I got the meat from! >:D

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 11:13:03 am »
Lol that was a great story

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »

Dang, Ancient Archer, the Demons must have jumped out of the stone, and possessed the cats! :o Dogs are good for doing things like that also, like the guy's dog who thought the hide hanging out to dry, was his chew toy.  There is a You Tube about a Cat that goes out at night, and brings back all kinds of weird stuff.  Like shoes, stuffed toys, underwear, etc.  must be the primal urge to bring home the kill, even if it is only a make believe kill.I think it is under "Cat burglar"  My cat brings home real kills, and dumps them in his food dish, and then wanders off.  Man that must have really frosted you when that happened.  Well now we all know not to leave something like that lying around, JUST in case there is a Gremlin lurking about....... ::) ;D  I don't party well after one of those episodes, but I do drink well !! ;D  So if the party includes drinks, yeah, I like to party.  Oh yeah, and food. ;)  that's just one of the reasons I like to go over to Eddie's house, there is usually beer, and good food! ;D ;D  Yeah, depending on the size of the piece I am working on, if it is a knife blade, I sometimes will just say the words, and do the look, and then for "SPITE" make two arrowheads out of them.  Sometimes......they end up being dusted, and then the dance and so forth follows. :P  I don't try for knife blades very often anymore.  I have become sensitive about getting an "Almost" knife blade, and then having two or more arrow head preforms. :(  But when I do get a halfway decent arrow head, I am pleased, which calls for a beer, and well earned feeling of accomplishment.  Of course getting up in the morning, calls for a beer, for a well earned feeling of accomplishment.  Speaking of, I need to go to the store.  I am out of beer!  :o :o :o

Wayne