Author Topic: A Dr's visit closer  (Read 2880 times)

Offline JEB

A Dr's visit closer
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:01:34 pm »
I tried using flintknapping as a way of relaxing and getting away from thinking about my very sick dad.  Sitting in my chair at the entrance of my garage where I do all my knapping I looked down and saw the three bandaids on my left hand thinking " there is something wrong with this picture" when it happened.  I was very carefully working on a piece of slabbed agate making one of my better points. I was thinking thru every flake drive when it happened.  Someone pulled into the driveway when I was trying to drive a flake and  then point of the Ishi stick was sticking in my hand.  Blood all over the place. My exact words were, "you got to be kidding me".  No cussing or ranting.  With my wife being a nurse for 39 years  I took her advise and went to the Dr.  Two stitches , a shot later  and a fourth bandaid.

I am a Dr's visit close to getting this flintknapping thing down, LOL

JustinNC

Re: A Dr's visit closer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:39:17 pm »
haha I know what you mean...I'm out of bandaids.

My favorite hammerstone has blood on it, as well as my regular pressure flaker, and on my leather pads...came in the house one day and took my jeans off and they were stuck to my thigh momentarily because of the dried blood where I ran my pressure flaker through my jeans (dont even remember how now) and stabbed myself...still have the blood stain in the jeans. I need more bandaids bad because I have blood stains all over everything....generally only happens when I mess with dacite....heck with that stuff.

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:42:38 pm »
Makes me glad I never knapped, if it's as bloody as you guys say...

I got plenty of scars from growing up "playing with" knives of different sorts ;)

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:06:13 pm »
Makes me glad I never knapped, if it's as bloody as you guys say...

I got plenty of scars from growing up "playing with" knives of different sorts ;)

probably not as bloody if you know what you're doing (not so in my case), can't speak for Mr JEB

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:11:02 pm »
I left a trail of blood across my back yard last week from just digging in my flake bucket.  If that whole blood letting thing actually works I don't think I'll ever get sick again.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:05:59 pm »
Makes you wonder how the Native Americans survived long without band aids and stitches and  tetanus shots. Come to think of it I need to get another box of band aids.

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:56:31 pm »
I've been to quite a few knap-ins and the black on everyone's leg pads aren't permanent marker...it's the price we pay most of the time we make the decision to knap. It's all a part of the learning curve.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 12:13:33 am »
I've been to quite a few knap-ins and the black on everyone's leg pads aren't permanent marker...it's the price we pay most of the time we make the decision to knap. It's all a part of the learning curve.
Ain't that the truth!
When I first started "trying" I got the bright idea to fold up a T-shirt and use it for a leg pad. It never hurt went it went in :-\ but pulling that inch long, half inch wide flake out hurt!...ALOT! 
If your gonna knap, your gonna bleed.  As you get better you'll bleed less...but you're still gonna bleed.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 07:50:23 pm »
Amen to that.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline piper

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:32 pm »
tower ....I guess I have a long learning curve........LOL......Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:03:12 pm »
Sometimes,I find myself well under the curve. I've had a few failing grades latly. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 08:23:14 pm »
I read the whole thread before I counted all the cuts on my hands. I knapped half the day and I have 8 small cuts. And bout 2 per hour.  I get a lot of bruises on my leg from the bopper
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »
My wife was shocked to see the baseball-sized bruise on my thigh from knapping some tough rhyolite last weekend.  I had to hold the rock where I could get the right angle and my antler over-shot the intended target. I use a hospital blanket under my leather leg pad, but it must have slid out of place. Ouch.

I keep super glue handy for zipping cuts back together...that is if you can slow the bleeding.  No telling how much blood I've donated to knapping, but it has been a lot.  When I first started knapping I was probably helping keep the BandAid factory working nights. Just Sayin'.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Lombard

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »
No pain, no pain. Haven't speared myself like that yet, but have knocked a few flakes right into my hand. Amazes me how fast those cuts heal.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 11:12:36 pm »
  Just think about all those guy's at the knap-in at Glass Buttes. I can't knap obsidian without leaking in multiple spots.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?