Author Topic: Slight knot problem, need some advice  (Read 3043 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Slight knot problem, need some advice
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »
I have a very small pin knot that has developed a very small crack in it, about 1/8 long and perpindicular to the limb. Its about 12" from the limb tip. The limb is quite thick right there so I dont see it blowing but I would like to know what preventive measures I could take. Its on the back by the way. I would take a pic, but I dont believe it will show up. Thanks for the help guys.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Slight knot problem, need some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:30:11 pm »
Is the crack in the center of the knot or through it and into the wood on either side?     I super glue all knots! If it is only in the center of the knot that is pretty common. Super glue!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:15 pm »
Just in the center Pat. Its a very small knot about 3/16 diameter, the crack goes across it 3/16" and stops there. So just push some CA glue in it, no sinew?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »
Are you tillering the bow or is it finished? If the bow is finished I would sand the area lightly then apply super glue.Before I use sinew or thread on a knot I like to put small pencil marks on each end of the crack and continue tillering or shooting and see if the crack gets worse or if the glue alone will hold it. If not then some saw dust and more super glue followed by a sinew or thread wrap is in order.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:20:49 pm »
Its done Bill. I have shot at least a few hundred arrows through it. I shot about 20-30 more after I seen the crack, it didnt get any longer.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:34:09 pm »
+1 more on the super glue, I use that stuff on everything now and buy it in 2 packs from the Dollar store, usually pick up at least 2 packs each time I buy it. Best stuff since pockets in pants!  ;D
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:55:06 am »
It is pretty common for those small knots to crack. The twig dries differently from the surrounding wood and they usually crack. If it doesn't go into the limb it should not be a problem. Super glue is just good insurance.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:49:49 am »
Super glue is a good idea ,but I usually rap with sinew also ,just ant worth the chance.  :) sometimes if it gets worse, it will do it all at once ,then it is to late. :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:53:18 am »
Is this on the osage bow?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 09:44:49 am »
Sure is Clint. I soaked it pretty good with CA glue last night, twice. It sounds like all is well. I will just keep shooting it. Its a dang nice shooter.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:23:44 am by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:30:48 am »
That is knot a problem. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:36:20 am »
Now thats witty Jawge! You east coast guys arent all business after all?!?!? I think I will put a few coats of Tru Oil down then give it a wrap of artificial sinew and glue. Then add another 8-10 coats of Tru Oil and call it a bow! Thanks for the help fellers. I have never had a knot do that and my heart sank when I seen it. My son and I were out back stumping when I noticed it, talk about deflation! I was pullin off some dandy 25-30 yard shots and he was in awe, suddenly my mood changed....he noticed it and felt bad for me, he knows what goes into building a bow from the side of a tree.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 01:26:02 pm »
I hope it holds together.  If not, we will be 0 for 2.  Good luck with it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left